What's new

Floral EdT - Formal or Informal?

I hope this question makes sense. Are Rose and Violet scents more formal or informal scents? Would you wear them in a suit? I read somewhere on here someone said SCS's 2-11 EdT was an informal scent. That's how I see SCS's Aspect and Very V. I don't think of them as scents people would wear on dates. But Dagger, to me, is formal.

So. What would you say?

Excellent question.

I do think that a general rule of thumb would be that the more floral in nature a fragrance is, the more formal, but not necessarily in all cases.

Its a funny coincidence that you ask, because I just sat down with a fresh spritz of Castile, which is very rich with rose, and I'm surprised at how well it is fairing in the middle of November, whilst I sit on my couch in a t-shirt and jeans.

Rose might not be as formal of a floral as some other flowers can be. I could totally get away with wearing C&S No.88 or Bvlgari Au The Rouge in a casual environment.

The bottom line is that overtly floral fragrances can get a bit stuffy if you're hot, and they can also seem a bit too "dressy" for doing something like "just hanging out". But every fragrance has it's own balance and may or may not work in any given situation.

This Castile is doing the trick for me right now, though! YUM

Edit - I must have missed the initial mention of violets as well - but that's ok, because I would say all of the same things about violets. I'd say they're even more versatile than roses. Love em both!

I guess it depends on your taste.
For me, 88 is the most formal fragrance I own.
domenico Caraceni is pretty formal too.
Hammam bouquet is quite versatile.
Aqua di Parma is very Versatile,
Ungaro III is more informal.
Comme des Garcons is t shirt and jeans informal.

Two violet scents, Narciso Rodriguez and Grey Flanel, are quite versatile IMO.

so, Floris 89 is formal ?

I guess it depends on the variety you have... I would say it is a bit formalish but versatile. I would not use it with short and sport shoes. I would use slacks and a nicely ironed shirt at least.

Now, It is not like I am very anal of which outfit goes with which fragrance... it just feels more natural to use certain perfumes for certain scenarios.
Egoiste is another rather formal floral-oriental.

Top Bottom