What's new

differences in vintage gillette open combs and identifying

Ok, cant quite figure out what is what.

"new" has a slot, right? I have one with the slot and a corresponding ridge on the bottom.

I have seen ones with a similar slot but with a thicker base. What is that?

A tech has a dimond on the base?

A "new improved" has a thick flat base with 2 holes?

what has the curved base with 2 holes?

I tried looking at the wiki and it really didnt help.

thanks alot

"new" has a slot, right? I have one with the slot and a corresponding ridge on the bottom.

Yes, the new's do have the slot. The slot is there because they were the first razor to be make to use the new style of blades.
Mr-Razor on this site has a good website that has images of may different styles of Gillette razors. Here is the link to just the news.
http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The%20NEW/The%20NEW.htm

I have seen ones with a similar slot but with a thicker base. What is that?

That could be one that was made in another country or just a different variety of new.

The flat base versus the curved base issue I am not sure about. Someone else should be able to tell you. I do not have much experience with the Old style and the New Improved because I have yet to find one in a antique store.

I do not think any tech's were open combs, but someone else might know that answer.

I think looking through the mr-razor web site should help you.

The curved base open comb with the guide pins would be the Old Type. The older ones had a thinner base and cap than the later ones.

Next came the New Improved which featured a flat base, but still used the guide pins.

Following the New Improved in open comb mass production was the New, which featured a positioning bar on the underside of the cap which fit into a groove on the base.

An open comb known as the Goodwill was produced for a short period starting in 1931 using left over parts from the Old Type and parts from the New. It made for some very interesting designs.

Following the New was the first solid safety bar Gillette mass produced, the Tech. It used the same positioning bar cap design as the New, but instead of the thick tooled base of the New it used a thinner pressed base with depressed diamond area with slotted outer corners in which fit the outer edge of the cap's bar.

The curved base open comb with the guide pins would be the Old Type. The older ones had a thinner base and cap than the later ones.

Next came the New Improved which featured a flat base, but still used the guide pins.

Following the New Improved in open comb mass production was the New, which featured a positioning bar on the underside of the cap which fit into a groove on the base.

An open comb known as the Goodwill was produced for a short period starting in 1931 using left over parts from the Old Type and parts from the New. It made for some very interesting designs.

Following the New was the first solid safety bar Gillette mass produced, the Tech. It used the same positioning bar cap design as the New, but instead of the thick tooled base of the New it used a thinner pressed base with depressed diamond area with slotted outer corners in which fit the outer edge of the cap's bar.

That is exactly what I wanted to know. I should have known it would have been you that came through.

Thanks.

Top Bottom