What's new

A couple questions from a coffee newb!

M

mziter

Alright so today I was checking out some straight razor info and ended up reading some coffee posts. As luck has it I was able to easily obtain a Bodum french press and I just had some questions for you.

1. How do I make the coffee hot enough? When I pour it in a cup and add some cream and it is definitely too cold for my liking. I am adding the water to the french press about 30 seconds after it just barely gets to a boil. (What kind of a boil should it be. A rolling boil or when the water is just starting to have bubbles from the bottom?)

2. How do you dispose of the grinds afterwards and clean the french press without pouring coffee grinds down the drain?

3. I know that grinding your coffee right before will give the best results. Is there a cheap grinder that I could get? If not, is there anyway to get better results out of pre-ground coffee?

1. water should be hotter, almost a full boil, about 200deg.
2. in the garbage can.
3. buy your coffee from a local roaster, and/or buy it more often.
4.enjoy

1. How do I make the coffee hot enough?
Pre-heat the press with boiling or near boiling water for 15 seconds or so. Use that water to preheat the the mug.
If it's still not hot enough, your mouth is likely lined with scar tissue.

3. I know that grinding your coffee right before will give the best results. Is there a cheap grinder that I could get? If not, is there anyway to get better results out of pre-ground coffee?
You'll need to define cheap. But here's a relevant thread.

The other way is just to buy small, pre-ground quantities and minimize air exposure. Some say freeze. Others say no. But all seem to agree that you don't refrigerate.

Top Bottom