What's new

Thickest lather?

I've just about entirely switched over to NB's Signature Shave Cream, and love it . . . so much so that I used it up and, while waiting for my replacement tub (not letting THAT happen again! Next time I restock at the halfway mark!) have been trying various other cream samples and some soaps.

One thing I'm noticing is that the NB produces a significantly thicker lather---thicker as in denser---than anything else I'm trying. SCS, for example, while superbly slippery and slick, isn't NEARLY as thick. And glycerin soaps aren't even in the same ballpark.

And I find I really, really like the thickness.

So, naturally, incipient SCAD rears its credit limit eating head and prompts me to ask: what other creams reliably deliver a thick, dense lather like the NB?

NANP™

Castle Forbes comes most immediately to my mind, though it's not quite as thick as NB, which was designed as a brushless product to start with.

Another cream that comes to mind is T&H Trafalgar. I have noticed that the newer formulation must have something in it that makes the lather really dense, but the cream itself is runny...At least the tub I have is runny, so much so that I am going to write a post asking about it.

Out of the five I use (creams and soaps) Proraso Soap gives me the thickest, most dense lather. That is out of CE Nomad & Sandalwood soap, GFT cream and the Body Shop Cream. Not many to base this on, though Proraso is by far the thickest and probably best in THAT AREA out of the 5 I use.

- Aaron

I'd recommend a superlather with NB Signature and QED Lavender. The lavender EO smells the same as the lavender in NB (lavender peppermint and rosemary) so it doesn't detract from the scent and it adds a bit of slickness to the lather and keeps it dense. One of my favorite superlathers.

Castle Forbes comes most immediately to my mind, though it's not quite as thick as NB, which was designed as a brushless product to start with.

I dug out a sample of this that ColbyPants sent me a while back and tried it this morning---their "cedarwood & sandalwood."

VERY thick and dense lather. LOTS harder to get onto the brush, but that may have been because it's been living in a little sample container for a few months.

Castle Forbes, Nancy Boy . . . *sigh* . . . how come I have to always like the EXPENSIVE stuff the best? :001_rolle

Thanks for all the recommendations!

NANP™

CF is not cheap to buy but once purchased will last longer than almost any other cream due to being so dense. Just treat it like a soap, use your brush to pick up the product.

Tabula Rasa. Thickest lather I've ever seen, you can almost chew it (though I don't advise, probably wouldn't taste good). Kind of a learning curve on figuring out how to lather it though, it's very dense, more of a cream soap. You can't just pop an almond size dab in a bowl and go to town like regular creams. Once you get this stuff going though, it's amazing.

I dug out a sample of this that ColbyPants sent me a while back and tried it this morning---their "cedarwood & sandalwood."

VERY thick and dense lather. LOTS harder to get onto the brush, but that may have been because it's been living in a little sample container for a few months.

Castle Forbes, Nancy Boy . . . *sigh* . . . how come I have to always like the EXPENSIVE stuff the best? :001_rolle

Thanks for all the recommendations!

NANP™

Good news, NB isn't all that expensive. $18, less a 15% discount for registering with NB. What's that, $15? I recently traded another member for some NB, and used it yesterday for the first time, and am glad to report that I really like it. I also really like the JM Fraser's. It was about the same price as NB. Not bad, considering how long they'll last and what fantastic products they are.

Yeah, I'm on my second tub of NB Signature (still have a tub of Replenishing from the Carnival that's going strong) and signed up on their website for the discount.

Not THAT expensive, but much moreso than glycerine soaps, which also last longer . . . but man, after a couple months of NB there's just no going back.

NANP™

Another vote for Castle Forbes. Their lavender cream goes on very thick.

As does Santa Maria Novella Crema da Barba, now that I think about it.

Two of my favorite creams!

"reliably deliver a thick, dense lather like the NB?"

Once again Proraso shaving cream. But treat the cream (and brush) like your shaving with soap and not a shaving cream. Meaning use the following B&B tutorial for soaps for your Proraso shaving cream http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21136

Personally I always use a shaving bowl. Thus I start off with less water then most people who go straight to face for lathering their cream/soaps. When the lather is just barley thick enough in the bowl I apply it to my face.

My experience being a little less water is better then a little to much water.

I was recently gifted with a tube of Tom's of Maine Calendula SC and WOW - it whips up rather thick and dense. It has a bit of an odd smell but no more so than Proraso and I kinda like it... However, I've never tried NB but ToM is very affordable and usually easy to find.

Top Bottom