What's new

Which Str8 For X-Mas?

My wife has hinted at getting me an expensive str8 for Christmas. Only problem is I don't think she knows which to get since I've shown her so many. There were a few at classicshaving.com that I liked. So please, let me know what you think of my choices or make your own suggestion.

Unfortunately, a Zowada is a little out of our price range right now, but not for long. Hopefully. :smile:

Here are the ones I liked:
1) http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522940/190248.htm
2) http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522940/190273.htm
3) http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522940/190273.htm
4) http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/846013/719626.htm

Personally I would go for the Thiers-Issard Sheffield Silver Steel, Blond Horn, 5/8

I've got the TI in black horn since a cpl of days and it shaves superior compared to my former Dovo Cellidur. It also feels much better in the hand. Ofcourse it's an opinion so not very objective, but I love the TI. It looks very classy.

I've seen only positive reviews of all the TI Silver Steel razors. You shouldn't have a problem with one of them.

Had one - sold it, as it didn't do anything for me.

The steel was no better or worse than my other razors and I found it a little finely ground for my tastes (which run towards heavier grinds).

I'm amazed at the prices on these things - 25% or more increase over the past year!!!

Personally I would go for the Thiers-Issard Sheffield Silver Steel, Blond Horn, 5/8

I've got the TI in black horn since a cpl of days and it shaves superior compared to my former Dovo Cellidur. It also feels much better in the hand. Ofcourse it's an opinion so not very objective, but I love the TI. It looks very classy.

Is there a difference between the kingwood and blond horn models? I personally prefer wood scales to horn scales.

Had one - sold it, as it didn't do anything for me.

The steel was no better or worse than my other razors and I found it a little finely ground for my tastes (which run towards heavier grinds).

I'm amazed at the prices on these things - 25% or more increase over the past year!!!

I can't justify buying one at those price hikes either. I've never tried one so I was going with othe people's opinions. My vintage razors suit me just fine. :001_smile

Here's a vote for the stainless Dovo in Ebony.

The #41 blade is an excellent shaver!

And no worries about staining/rusting!

The more I think about it and the more I look at the Zowada razors, I feel as though I'd be better off saving my money up for a custom Zowada. They just look so perfect and I have yet to hear any negative comments about them.

I guess I could always have one as a Christmas and B-day gift.

The more I think about it and the more I look at the Zowada razors, I feel as though I'd be better off saving my money up for a custom Zowada. They just look so perfect and I have yet to hear any negative comments about them.

I guess I could always have one as a Christmas and B-day gift.

You probably cannot get one for under about $1000 anymore unless someone needs to unload one. The B&B at $575 was a screaming steal!

You probably cannot get one for under about $1000 anymore unless someone needs to unload one. The B&B at $575 was a screaming steal!

From what Tim and Beverly (classicshaving) have told me, the type of blade I want will probably run in and around the $1000.00 mark. Even if I have to wait a few months to save up the cash, it will be well worth the wait.

What razors do you have already?? If this is your first, some advise that its quite a bit easier to hone a carbon steel razor

What razors do you have already?? If this is your first, some advise that its quite a bit easier to hone a carbon steel razor

I currently don't own any straights. I have been DE shaving for 7-8 months and each day I want a str8 in my hands.

I currently don't own any straights. I have been DE shaving for 7-8 months and each day I want a str8 in my hands.

Just my opinion, but before I would bust out $1000 or so for a straight, I would use some different ones to make sure you want to stick with a straight. I would certainly buy a much less expensive razor, under $100 for sure and maybe get two good ones for $50-75 each from members at B&B or SRP and try them. Forget how they look but try them for feel and specs.

THere are so many different razors and sizes and you will not know what you like until you have tried different ones - size is very subjective and so is steel and point type, and the grind (full hollow vs. 1/4 vs 1/2 etc - the are all very different). Scale material is also subjective and can affect the price more than the blade will cost!!

Also, if you are going to hone them yourself ,which you ultimately will need to learn out of $$ and practicality concerns, the type of steel will make a big difference - some steels are a nightmare to maintain and require more attention to prevent rusting, etc..

What may look really cool is not what you may ultimately like shaving with. I.e. I hate spike points as I cannot see the point well as I wear glasses and thus constantly cut myself with a spike near my ear. Spike points and their derivatives may look cool, and many people love spike points, but the are not for everyone so you just have to try it for yourself.

Also, you don't want to spend a lot in case you simply decide you don't want to use a straight. Lots of folks don't keep using them for all sorts of reasons. I love them but you may not. Don't bust out this type of $$ until you are sure that you are going to stick with it and have experimented to determine what specs are right for you. Then if that $1000 is still waiting to be spent, then get a Zowada or other fine custom razor with the specs that will work best for you and then the custom will be worth the wait and ##.

For $1000 your options are vast - you can pretty much get any razor you want with few exceptions (mostly due to scale materials) so don't rush - take your time and hunt vs. rushing and buying something. There will always be plenty of incredible customs available, especially in your price range.

I have a gorgeous Livi custom 8/8 Takeda damascus steel razpr that I loved how it looked so I bought it - it is just stunning in person and everyone who has seen it says the same thing. However, I wish that I had tried an 8/8 before I bought it because I would not have bought it - I do not like the larger size and find it very difficult to shave with. I wish I still had the $1000 in my pocket. I will be selling it in the next 6 months.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Zowada and it is a phenomenal shaver (I have a 2nd one on the way), but many folks will back me up when I say that Damascus steel is not the best shaving steel - it certainly is the most intersting looking but is not the best for shaving.

Before you buy a Zowada or any very expensive razor, know what specs work for you - you will be glad you did.

Just my opinion......:detective:

Just my opinion, but before I would bust out $1000 or so for a straight, I would use some different ones to make sure you want to stick with a straight. I would certainly buy a much less expensive razor, under $100 for sure and maybe get two good ones for $50-75 each from members at B&B or SRP and try them. Forget how they look but try them for feel and specs.

THere are so many different razors and sizes and you will not know what you like until you have tried different ones - size is very subjective and so is steel and point type, and the grind (full hollow vs. 1/4 vs 1/2 etc - the are all very different). Scale material is also subjective and can affect the price more than the blade will cost!!

Also, if you are going to hone them yourself ,which you ultimately will need to learn out of $$ and practicality concerns, the type of steel will make a big difference - some steels are a nightmare to maintain and require more attention to prevent rusting, etc..

What may look really cool is not what you may ultimately like shaving with. I.e. I hate spike points as I cannot see the point well as I wear glasses and thus constantly cut myself with a spike near my ear. Spike points and their derivatives may look cool, and many people love spike points, but the are not for everyone so you just have to try it for yourself.

Also, you don't want to spend a lot in case you simply decide you don't want to use a straight. Lots of folks don't keep using them for all sorts of reasons. I love them but you may not. Don't bust out this type of $$ until you are sure that you are going to stick with it and have experimented to determine what specs are right for you. Then if that $1000 is still waiting to be spent, then get a Zowada or other fine custom razor with the specs that will work best for you and then the custom will be worth the wait and ##.

For $1000 your options are vast - you can pretty much get any razor you want with few exceptions (mostly due to scale materials) so don't rush - take your time and hunt vs. rushing and buying something. There will always be plenty of incredible customs available, especially in your price range.

I have a gorgeous Livi custom 8/8 Takeda damascus steel razpr that I loved how it looked so I bought it - it is just stunning in person and everyone who has seen it says the same thing. However, I wish that I had tried an 8/8 before I bought it because I would not have bought it - I do not like the larger size and find it very difficult to shave with. I wish I still had the $1000 in my pocket. I will be selling it in the next 6 months.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Zowada and it is a phenomenal shaver (I have a 2nd one on the way), but many folks will back me up when I say that Damascus steel is not the best shaving steel - it certainly is the most intersting looking but is not the best for shaving.

Before you buy a Zowada or any very expensive razor, know what specs work for you - you will be glad you did.

BINGO!

If you want to drop $1000 on shaving stuff, by all means do so!

However to do it for a single, and first razor is, I'm sorry to say,rather foolhearty. I've probbably spent close to $1000 on straights and associated stuff in this mt first year of wetshaving. To show for it, I have a very nice array of straights, about 8-9 in all. Some brand new, some vintage Ebay specials, but a wide variety. Stainless, carbon, full hollow, wedge, 1/4 grind, with thumbnotch, without thumbnotch,. Sheffield steel, swedish steel, made in Solignen, made in USA...They are all excellent in their own rights.

Originally I had thought as you do "just buy one, but make it the best"

I'm glad I didn't. I enjoy being able to choose a razor to suit my mood, as they do indeed feel quite different to shave with.

Go out and buy a really nice razor to start with $150-300 that should get you a real beauty. Then buy a few $50 razors in the classified section, or on Ebay, and try some other types of razor out. Read a ton of reviews, often times they are really quite informative.

Straights ahve great, and it's a wonderful hobby as well. Enjoy!

BINGO!

If you want to drop $1000 on shaving stuff, by all means do so!

However to do it for a single, and first razor is, I'm sorry to say,rather foolhearty. I've probbably spent close to $1000 on straights and associated stuff in this mt first year of wetshaving. To show for it, I have a very nice array of straights, about 8-9 in all. Some brand new, some vintage Ebay specials, but a wide variety. Stainless, carbon, full hollow, wedge, 1/4 grind, with thumbnotch, without thumbnotch,. Sheffield steel, swedish steel, made in Solignen, made in USA...They are all excellent in their own rights.

Originally I had thought as you do "just buy one, but make it the best"

I'm glad I didn't. I enjoy being able to choose a razor to suit my mood, as they do indeed feel quite different to shave with.

Go out and buy a really nice razor to start with $150-300 that should get you a real beauty. Then buy a few $50 razors in the classified section, or on Ebay, and try some other types of razor out. Read a ton of reviews, often times they are really quite informative.

Straights ahve great, and it's a wonderful hobby as well. Enjoy!

Thanks for the sound advice guys. Unfortunately this is just the way my personality works. I get all gung ho about something and feel like I need to go all out. So, it helps when rational individuals provide me with some perspective.

I'm still scouring through razors, trying to see what I would like best.

Top Bottom