What's new

Worst shaving habits

I have some pretty bad ones. Like:
- I'll go over a spot 3 or 4x without lather being there.
- I'll shave an area even if my vision is blocked by my arm trying to stretch my skin
- I won't always stretch my skin
- I'll shave anyway even if the lather on my face is dried up.
(CF seems to dry up the fastest)

I dunno if this is one, but after enough lather builds up on the razor, I wipe it down with a wet washcloth and then wipe it with a dry towel.

Let's hear some of yours?

I also will continue to shave with blocked vision of a particular area. However, I've not considered such as a bad shaving habit, but rather an indication that I can maintain a good angle and stroke even though I can't see the specific area. I'll wager that most, if not all of us, do this.

I do tend to lather specific areas (left and right cheek, neck), after the first pass, and shave only that area. I also lather, strop, then refresh the lather before the first pass.

I wipe on a dry towel rather than rinse. But again, I doubt any of these are bad habits. Perhaps more personal preference. Shaving with a straight razor is a individualistic statement in itself. How we each approach the shave is also very individual within common and shared procedures (strop, lather, clean-up, etc.)

I think overshaving is probably the worst thing I do. I do it maybe once a week. You just get this mindset that you have to get that damn stubble, then before you know it.. ow..

Knowing when to stop is something that takes years of practice and really knowing your face. But, then it also depends on the product you're using, as some will provide more protection and you can be more aggressive.

-Mason

- I'll go over a spot 3 or 4x without lather being there.

I do that all the time, however, I don't seem to suffer any adverse effects from it, so I don't consider it a bad habit.

One bad habit which I try to fight is overshaving difficult spots, which easily leads to a weeper. Say, the corner of my mouth looks clean, but when I feel it I still can detect some stubble. I know I should just leave it alone and try again tomorrow. But often I can't help myself.

1) I switch products too often to build up a perfect technique with one razor. I keep changing razors, blades, soaps, etc... It is great for fueling my RAD and SAD, but it doesn't really help my technique or bank account.

2)Not a shaving habit, but.... I purchase razors that I don't need and then don't use. OK.. I get joy out of restoring a razor that is completely crusted in crud, but still if I didn't keep buying cheap razors I don't need, I could have purchased an expensive razor that I don't need.

1) I move so slow post-shower that my face begins to dry and I have to resplash with hot water.
2) Tend to rush my shaves when I'm feeling tired and need to get to bed.
3) Make excessive amounts of lather (could probably get 7-8 passes).

I consider my techniques with their variable success ratios to be idiocyncrasies rather than bad habits. That makes me feel so much better about myself and when using the sharpest knife on the planet this is a very good thing. :w00t:

Speaking of overshaving of a different sort, I sometimes sneak back into the bathroom again only hours after the first shave. At first, I only intend to make some practice lather, but pretty soon I'm honing the razor - just for one very light pass, I tell myself. Next thing I know, I'm on the third pass shaving imaginary stubble, and my face is starting to sting a little for some reason... :rolleyes:

Hmmm I appear to be having the habit of shaving the skin off right below my right ear. As soon as it heals, I cut it back open again. My face may be smooth, my neck may be irritation free. But for some blasted reason, I keep cutting myself right under that ear! Bad bad habit!

Top Bottom