What's new

Best Bar You've Visited

I was taking a moment to arrange an upcoming trip to San Francisco when I came across a place called Bourbon and Branch. Seems quite nice -- I may have to visit.

At any rate, that got me thinking -- what's the best bar you've ever visited? For me, it's the Old Seelbach in Louisville. Just a beautiful place, full of history and with a cozy feel that could easily tempt you to stay for hours.

Your turn!

This will be a long thread.

The best bar I have ever visited was the last one I visited, it was that good I can't remember it.

I will dedicate the rest of my life trying to find it.

My favorite bar in the world is a little place in Amsterdam named Gollem. It's a small, wood-paneled establishment with two levels that has the most incredible selection of draught and bottled beer I have ever encountered. Three walls have large blackboards with the selection written on them. It's a place you could go to every day for a year and drink a beer you've never heard of before. You ask for a beer off the list, and the bartend goes down to the cellar and comes back with a dusty, cool bottle of the most incredible liquid...Every time I have gone to Gollem I've found a new favorite beer. Although, let me tell you, it's easy to forget some of them are 12-14% or more...and after a couple or three it can be hard to find the exit! :001_smile

If you're ever in the city, do yourself a favor and track down this little delight. It's between Spuistraat and Singel, on Raamsteeg.

I was taking a moment to arrange an upcoming trip to San Francisco when I came across a place called Bourbon and Branch. Seems quite nice -- I may have to visit.

Bourbon and Branch is just about top of the pops in my book. If you're in San Francisco and thirsty, also check out Swig, Rye, The Clock Bar, and Absinthe.

My favorite? A little cocktail bar just off The Meadows in Edinburgh, Scotland called Borough. It's unpretentious and relaxed, cheap, and they make a truly impeccable martini.

Just my 25p.

My favourite bars are always the dives full of memories. I celebrated my 18th and 2nd 18th birthday all at a bar that sadly no longer exists. It had pool tables, slot machines, a live band and a "mom to the entire bar" barmaid that while she wasn't much of a looker I'd take her serving me drinks and conversation over any young blonde. RIP Rock Quest.

I've got a few now, a chain brewpub called Les 3 Brasseurs, decent cheap "bistro" food and a plethora of brewed on site beers for dirt cheap. Plus free peanuts in the shell that you throw the shells on the floor, always a plus.

There's the Irish pub where my girlfriend and I shared our first kiss on St-Patrick's day 4 years ago, great music, great food, and a respectably pulled pint. Hit up O'Reagan's if you're ever in Montreal.

And from my two weeks in Italy "Bar Centro" in Finaleborgo, a medieval village in Liguria, Italy. Cheap beer that always came with a tray of breads, olives, capers, sausages, meats, peppers and cheeses.

I can't remember the name of it, it's in Perth, WA... it's the bar I hobbled into after riding a motorbike across Australia from Sydney via Melbourne, Adelaide & Alice Springs :lol: That was the most outstandingly welcome bar I've ever found myself in

Portland is comprised of thriving neighborhood, each with an old world appeal and charm for miles. we have a smallish downtown, and there are handfull's of bars in each of Portland's neighborhoods. almost all of them are outstanding!

the aalto lounge - 3356 SE Belmont St
Named after the modernist Finnish designer Alvar Aalto, this inviting joint on Belmont is decorated with the sure hand of a true collector. Spare, clean lines in the chairs, consoles and art decorate a dim lounge presided over by gentlemanly bartenders who mix a mean martini for an artsy crowd of Southeast locals. The bar features an alluring, French-dominated wine list with 17 vinos available by the glass, bracing cocktails and a well-executed cappuccino.

the shanghai tunnel - 211 SW Ankeny St

View attachment 34231

moloko plus - 3967 N Mississippi Ave
The long, narrow space is mostly white, featuring a curving concrete bar, faux fur-covered chairs and leather sofas. There's a rotating exhibit of modern art on some walls, while plastic bubbles filled with live fish bulge out of others. The bar attracts a young, stylish crowd enjoying fresh juice cocktails, imported beer and lively conversation over a soundtrack of upbeat pop, soul and funk. Creative salads and sandwiches are available all hours.

View attachment 34232

The Horse Brass - 4534 SE Belmont St
Always larger than you remember, this British pub seems nonetheless crowded most every hour with ex-pats downing imperials, self-satisfied old duffers dearly wishing they'd an accent, and a powerful contingent of new transplants visibly straining to care about Premier League footie. It's an American English bar, still - meaning the servers, though surly, will inevitably deign to take an order, and the traditional cuisine's rendered palatable - but, arriving at the dawn of local beer snob hegemony (52 taps on premises with an array of bottles on sale next door), they've earned their sepia-tinged/smoke-damaged end-of-empire swagger.

The Red Dog Saloon in Middletown CT.

The only place I know where they don't mind at all if you carve your name in the bar or mark your spot with a hefty burnout.

:scooter::scooter:.....:gun_bandana::gun_bandana:

In New Orleans there's a great bar called The Bulldog. 50 beers on tap, plus a bunch more in bottles, a very relaxed atmosphere, and outdoor seating in a really cool neighborhood. It's far enough away from the quarter to avoid the tourist crowds, and far enough from the colleges to avoid the typical college bar stuff (though the college students serious about beer definitely seek it out). It's a great place to hang out with friends and try pitchers of unfamiliar beers.

Not much for dance club type places, but the 'Apartment' complex in Halifax, NS strikes a good balance with a bunch of bars tied together by a big dance area.

SLO brewery in San Louis Obispo CA was really the only micro-brew place where I actually liked the beer. Lots of pool tables.

Otherwise, a pub where I can hear myself think suits me fine.

And of course Hooters for the eye candy (Lord knows no one goes there for the food).

Top Bottom