What's new

My New Theory

This idea applies to me, and I suspect it might apply to others.

I've been using a merkur hd for about 5 months now.

When I used to shave with the disposable pivots and goo, shaving was just a chore, and I never really payed much attention to detail when I shaved. Get in, get out, and be done with it.

Learning to shave with a DE has increased my attention to detail exponentially, which is a good thing, but it can also be a negative if one isn't aware of it.

What I mean is, my shaves are EXTREMELY close, smooth, and irritation free lately, yet I still can point out imperfections (minuscule stubble here and there, on the neck perhaps)- imperfections that surely no one else will ever notice. The fact that I am even AWARE of these imperfections is simply because my shaving technique and skill have improved so much; I've been "forced" to pay close attention.

I think that a lot of times when guys complain that they aren't getting great shaves with their new DE,a lot of probably has to do with the heightened awareness and attention to detail (bad technique another story) and in reality, their shaves are actually much better than they were before.

Hell, I never had even heard of prep, for Chrise sake, let alone WTG, ATG, ad nauseum before I came on here. I was simply a hacker with a bic in one hand and a can of goo in the other. My shaves today blow the old ones away, no question about it.

So it's the old catch 22, but if one just acknowledges it for what it is, the attention to detail can be your friend instead of your enemy; you didn't "fail" if you didn't get EVERY SINGLE BIT of stubble knocked down to base skin level, rather, you are simply just aware of it now, that's all.

Awesome post. Those of us with OCD had to learn this the hard way. When you're done and you still see/feel something that you think you didn't get, walk away.

Well said. A bad shave with my Slant is nowhere near as bad as the shaves I used to get with a cartridge. Sometimes this site jacks up the perfectionist sides of our personalities.

same problem here. just did it last night. its not the ocd that bothers me its the extra time it takes me. i want to be able to sit here and pledge more time to b&b than hang out in the bathroom all night!:lol:

Top Bottom