What's new

Scuttle temperature affecting lather?

So I have a quick question: Is there an optimal water temperature to fill the outside scuttle with? I've used some of the suggested ideas on the forum by filling my dirty bird scuttle with boiling water, but noticed that the heat seems to be breaking down the thick lather I generated in the inner bowl.

I am a bowl latherer, so being able to keep a bowl of hot lather is my main goal (with it breaking down the lather I've built).

Any suggestions out there? Is it as simple as just using the hottest my tap water will go?

Thanks,

Dennis

Depending upon where your water heater is set, it may be about the right temperature to do the job.

My water temperature at the sink is about 140 deg. F. That is just about the hottest water that you can put your hand in without scalding; you wouldn't likely keep your hands in it for any length of time. My scuttle works fine using this temperature of water. The lather feels nice and warm but it doesn't dry out.

Regards,
Tom

So I have a quick question: Is there an optimal water temperature to fill the outside scuttle with? I've used some of the suggested ideas on the forum by filling my dirty bird scuttle with boiling water, but noticed that the heat seems to be breaking down the thick lather I generated in the inner bowl.

I am a bowl latherer, so being able to keep a bowl of hot lather is my main goal (with it breaking down the lather I've built).

Any suggestions out there? Is it as simple as just using the hottest my tap water will go?

Thanks,

Dennis

I have a Peach scuttle that I fill with the hottest water I can get out of the sink. Then I set it on an electric cup warmer (a mini hot plate). After the first pass I turn off the cup warmer, otherwise the bowl gets too warm and the lather does dry out. So, to answer your question, yes I think there is an optimal temperature but it depends on the humidity in your room, how fast you shave etc. etc. so I don't think anyone can give you a number they can hang their hat on. That said, if my lather starts to get a little dry I just drizzle a little hot water into the bowl of the scuttle and stir with the brush a little to "freshen up" my lather. Keep in mind it's warm, not hot, lather you're looking for. Truly hot lather will break down very rapidly as the water will evaporate too fast.

Hot scuttle = lather will dry out between passes.

It's unavoidable. As said above, just add a dash of hot water to your brush, give a couple qquick swirls, and have at it again. There is no rule that you must make you lather only one time for the entire shave. If it needs to be freshened up, then do so!

I have the Dirty Bird Brush scuttle which has a separate lathering bowl. I usually have more lather than will fit in the scuttle so I scoop some extra lather from the bowl after each pass. This has puts more lather in the scuttle and the new lather has more moisture. Using this method limits dry out. I use a hotshot which puts boiling water in the scuttle so it's really hot.

However, I have noticed that certain soaps dry out faster. I have the Pirates Cove Lime as well as their Bay Rum with Ginger. The Lime really dries out fast. Bay Rum with Ginger, not too bad. The two soaps I have that don't dry out are the VDH deluxe and glycerin. Go figure.

Kurt

I use an Atomic Scuttle which provides luvverly hot lather, but I have to add a dash of water and swirl a bit between passes. I don't mind. The hot-hot-hot lather is more than worth it . . . especially on chilly mornings!

Top Bottom