What's new

Starting with my new HD

Hi Guys

Today is the day that my orderd Merkur HD arrived in the post and what a beautiful piece of kit it is; heavier than I imagined but oh so lovely to the eye.
Now as today is wednesday, I don't plan to start my first attempt at DE shaving until Saturday when I can have 2 shaves before facing work on Monday. My question is should I shave as normal on Friday (currently using a 2 blade supermarket copy of the Sensor Excell) and then start with the HD on Saturday or should I skip shaving on Friday, so that I have 2 days growth before my first DE shave?

I appreaciate your thoughts guys.

Cheers, Rousey

I'd skip it Friday morning, shave Friday evening (more time, less rush), Saturday evening and Sunday evening - then you'll squeeze 3 goes in :smile:

I'd skip Friday and shave with the HD on Saturday morning. I find I get a closer shave with a shave every other day anyway and you'll be blessing your Merk with an honest morning constitutional. Also, with a little bit of stubble, you'll be able to get a better sense of blade angle to use the HD with.

Good luck with the HD -- you may win the award for longest time from joining to HD in hand!

I don't think there'll be a huge difference in the quality of your first HD shave whether you've one day's growth or two. If you'd like a bit of extra satisfaction through marveling at the HD's cutting power, go for two days. One should work just as well, though, IMHO. Now if you were using a slant I might recommend two -- for some reason my slant performs best on more than one day's growth.

Enjoy! :001_smile

Thanks Guys for your very quick replies; yeah I have been a bit of a lurker for a long time. I joined B&B about 18 months ago as I started to get a bit of an interest in traditional shaving, I then bought a cheap wilkinson sword plastic DE razor about £3 and could not get on with it. I then went back to cartridge razors, but still kept coming back to B&B to improve my shaving cream, brush etc technique

Just in that last couple of weeks, my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I suggested a decent DE e.g a Merkur HD. She point blankly refused and said if wanted one, I would have to buy it myself... Fantastic, permission at last and can't be "nagged" for wasting money as she told me to do it!!! Subsequently my HD arrived today

I let you know how the weekend shaves go.

Cheers, Rousey

Welcome.

I had an HD and bought a progress from a member a while back. I was practicing with my progress these past 4 weeks. I shaved with my HD today and it was really pleasant. I love its simplicity and weight. I am sure you will enjoy it. Happy shaving.

I love my hd. I bought a super speed I used for a while and came back to the hd yesterday. I would give your skin at least a one day break before shaving with the hd. Otherwise, enjoy it!

The HD is quite heavy...and remember the #1 rule is ZERO pressure, or you will get some razor burn. You may find the need to use negative pressure until you get the hang of it. As always, follow all the prep "rules" and other great advice listed here. Best of luck!! Have a great shave!! BTW...You may want to hold the handle like a pair of tweezers to keep the pressure off. A neat little trick that is very effective.

Kind Regards.

I had my first shave on Friday evening; I planned the day - no shave in the morning as suggested and early evening I started the process. I soaked my brush in hot water in my shaving bowl while I showered. I shook off all the water, whipped up a nice lather until it was shiny and applied to my face.

I shaved 1 pass over my cheeks and jaw line, then 1 pass over the goatee area and neck. All the time trying to get the angle right and fighting the pressure (thanks for the tip on holding the razor like a pair of tweezers - this really helped). I felt so confident after 1 pass, I re-lathered and did a second around the goatee. I rinsed off and inspected. I couldn't believe how close a shave I had got. It is a real revelation. Also the comfort was good, with just a little bit of burning around the top lip area.

I was so happy I went to my local pub for a couple of pints to celebrate!!!

On Saturday night I did the same procedure (minus the pints), but just prior to bed. But this time no razor burn at all.

I really enjoyed the shaves and the HD is a marvelous piece of kit.

The other hardware I use is:

shaving bowl - a small dessert bowl from Ikea for 75p
Brush - American Crew bought in the States for $8 from a small drug store in LA
Shaving Cream: Trumpers Sandlewood
Blades: I used the Merkur that came with the HD.

I also ordered some Derbys; should I continue with Mekurs until I use the pack and hone my technique or would it be better to switch to the Derbys ASAP?

Cheers Rousey

By all means...chuck the Merkur Blades and pop in the Derby!!! I think you will be agreeably Surprised!!!

I use Merkur blades for scraping gaskets while rebuilding engines. At least they are good for something!!!

I'm so glad your first shaves went so well!!!

Cheers,

Before heading to the pub again....You might get a few Tabac products..The shave soap and AS Splash at the minimum....great shave,,,but best of all the scent....Just be sure to carry a big stick to fight off the ladies at the pub!!! (no need to tell the wife, it can be our little B&B secret)!!! :wink:

Cheers,

Well Done, Rousey!! Nothing like a great shave. :w00t:

She point blankly refused and said if wanted one, I would have to buy it myself... Fantastic, permission at last and can't be "nagged" for wasting money as she told me to do it!!!

Keep this sequence in mind for future use. Ultimately, SWMBO will come to appreciate a nice clean shave in the evening, too. :ihih:

-- John Gehman

Thanks Guys; I'll check out the Tabac.

Big test tomorrow morning - will try the HD shave before work.

Cheers Rousey

Hey, Rousey..

Great choice in razor, it's my all round favourite! Great weight isn't it? I've had mine over 2 years and like yourself was delighted to recieve it in the post!

Good to see you've decided to go for the Derby blades, they are, for me, far better at performing than the Merkur blades - a shame really as Merkur seem to make world class razors but naf blades!!

I like a shave every morning, it kinda sets you up for work during the week or at anytime really.

"A good day starts with a good shave" - have fun...... and definetly check out Tabac, you'll not regret it. :thumbup1:

Thanks Roy,

I was surprised at how heavy the HD is when I recieved, but wow what a joy to use. Actually I find it a joy just to look at and hold (the wife is now telling me to get out more...)

Can I ask where you get Proraso cream in the UK? I have only seen it in Target in the US.

Cheers, Rousey

"Can I ask where you get Proraso cream in the UK? I have only seen it in Target in the US."

Sure thing..

I got most of my stuff, including Proraso, from these UK sites. Never heard of it being sold in any shops, well, not to my knowledge. Can't remember exactly where I got what from where but these are the UK ones i've used, not forgetting eBay - these will keep you busy & good luck!!

http://www.carterandbond.com/
http://www.chiselchin.co.uk/index.htm
http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/

Cheers Roy, thanks for the links.

Had my first HD shave "while under pressure" e.g. I had to go to work. It was pretty good, although not as close as my weekend shaves. I believe this is just the difference between shaving in the morning against shaving in the evening. However I don't believe the shave took me too much longer than with my cartridge, although I spent longer on the prep.

That is 3 shaves with my HD and not a single nick, which I find truly amazing. I put it down to how good the HD is and the great tip of hoding the razor like a pair of twezzers. Thanks for that tip smoke.

Cheers, Rousey

Can I ask where you get Proraso cream in the UK? I have only seen it in Target in the US.

Cheers, Rousey

If you ever venture to the Valhalla of shaving - Jermyn St / St James' in London - make sure you visit A Maitland, a very small chemist which happens to sell the very finest shaving gear you can find. Proraso and Tabac included.

Top Bottom