What's new

Has anybody had their Allen Edmonds shoes re-crafted?

I just had my first pair of Allen Edmonds shoes re-crafted. I was wondering what other gents' experience was with re-crafting.

I am asking, because I am fairly unhappy with the result. First, the soles of the two shoes stick out from under the upper leather to different degrees. I realize that some imperfections are the hallmark of hand-crafted (sort of) shoes, but the differences are a bit too much in this case and easily visible by anyone who glances at the shoes. Second, there is a bulge in the footbed of my left shoe that was not there before, making wearing the shoe a bit uncomfortable. Such a bulge has never been there in any of the other seven pairs of Allen Edmonds shoes I have, so it is clearly a result of the re-crafting process. It looks like the cork material hasn't been evenly distributed.

Essentially, I was expecting shoes that fit the same as before. Am I expecting too much?

Thanks for your input.

Best - MM

I had two pair re-crafted last year. They came back just fine. The shoes were a bit more snug than when I sent them off, which is to be expected.

If you haven't already done so, I suggest getting in touch with AE customer service about this. Since the goal of the re-crafting is to return the shoes "as nearly as possible to their original condition", it sounds like some touch up may be in order.

j.

Top Bottom