What's new

Would like to try a new coffee

I currently drink coffee very rarley, maybe a few times a month. But I would like to try some different kinds of coffees, nicer than the stuff I get from Costco. I currently have a Bunn coffee pot and that is it. I have a crappy electric grinder that has a few numbered settings but I am not sure it works right. I don't want to spend to much but for the grinder the press and the coffee, I was hoping to stay at about 150

I am thinking I should get a french press and a grinder. Any suggestions? Oh and please make me a good coffee recomendation.

I currently drink coffee very rarley, maybe a few times a month. But I would like to try some different kinds of coffees, nicer than the stuff I get from Costco. I currently have a Bunn coffee pot and that is it. I have a crappy electric grinder that has a few numbered settings but I am not sure it works right. I don't want to spend to much but for the grinder the press and the coffee, I was hoping to stay at about 150

I am thinking I should get a french press and a grinder. Any suggestions? Oh and please make me a good coffee recomendation.

OK, I'll keep you within budget.
  1. Bodum "Chambord" 8-Cup French press -- $36.95 + $8.99 S/H @Sweet Maria's
  2. Hand-Operated Coffee Grinder -- $32.88 @ebaY
That leaves $80 for coffee!!

I'd recommend that for buying already-roasted coffee, you should turn to Ristretto Roasters -- they have quite a "following" here on B&B.

First, I'm impressed that Costco has some decent coffee. 2 weeks ago, being desperate and too lazy to roast, I bought a bag of Papa Nicholas Hawaii blend that was good. Good, not great! I was surprised that it pulled decent shots.

As for a great and cheap single-use coffee maker, I'd recommend the Aerobie Aeropress over a French press. I think that it makes exquisite coffee.

old Joel- the 66 year old Joel

I may look at getting a hand grinder. How much cranking does it take to make an 8 cup pot of french press coffee?

Any ideas on electric burr grinders?

Any ideas on electric burr grinders?

I have a Capresso Infinity burr grinder that is in your price range and does a good job for Press/Vac Pot/Drip coffee. I got mine last year from Amazon for around $85. However, if you look around on that popular auction site and use the 25% cash back option it would be even less. If you don't know about the cash back deal do a search in the Shopping section on this site.

If you like a cleaner cup of coffee you might want to consider a 8 cup Yama Vac Pot which you can get at Sweet Marias for $38.

as I sip a cup of my just-this-morning-ground-beans-and-french-pressed-coffee, I think how good I have it at just under $40. Yeah, I could spend more, but I'm happy with what I have, 32 oz Bodum press, cheap blade grinder (clearance at Wal Mart), Eight O'clock brand coffee (as recommended to me by a friend at church, not bad at all, though I usually get Community Coffee Special Reserve for grinding). When this grinder gives up the ghost, I'll look into a burr grinder, either electric or hand, saw a kit somewhere awhile back you build your own "box" and mount the grinder in it, I'm thinking I'll probably give that a shot, kit was like $15.
Anyway, this setup works marvelously for me, but some of the others may give you suggestions more up your alley.
I won't make any mention of YMMV.....

I may look at getting a hand grinder. How much cranking does it take to make an 8 cup pot of french press coffee?

Using the same grinder that I referenced in my previous post, it takes me all of two minutes to fill-and-grind four level-measures (blue SCAA*) of roasted coffee beans.

* Blue SCAA measure @ mid-page

My routine is:
  1. Fill the kettle with fresh water and turn ON
  2. Fill-and-grind coffee beans, then transfer to French press (8-cup/32oz)
  3. Fill French press halfway with boiling water, cover and wait 1-minute
  4. Turn kettle ON, fill French press with boiling water to bottom of upper band, stir grounds, cover and wait 4-minutes
  5. Slowly press plunger to bottom
  6. Pour, add sweetener and/or cream (if desired), enjoy!

Top Bottom