What's new

hair conditioner on beard before or during shaving

i was talking to a friend about shaving, and he told me he dosnt use shaving cream, he uses hair conditioner, i was curious and decided that while i shower, i put hair conditioner on all my beard area,

i feared a bit for my face, i allready have marks to heal from several prior bad shaves, im experimenting with different creams to find a substitute for TBS gray tub, i used floris JF shaving cream, and the shave was quite good i must say,

anyone else tried this ?

I put conditioner on my BEARD beard when I was growing it because it's so doggone heavy and coarse. I did try with it, too, but it made my skin really greasy and I had a little trouble from that.

You should not shave with hair conditioner, conditioner besides having moisturizing properties stregthens hair which is the last thing you want to do before or during a shave.

That is my experience, ymmv

I know that when I used to grow my beard, using conditioner on it kept it soft and supple and easy to comb & trim.
That being said I would refer you to this great pre-shave tutorial from Kyle which advice I have been following with great results pretty much since I arrived here about a month ago. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9745

I would direct you to pay extra attention to the "research" section and in particular "the bad and the ugly", quote "As you can see, depending on what exactly your hair conditioner contains, it very well could be making your job (shaving) much more difficult than is necessary."
I believe that what Kyle is saying is that though our job pre-shave is to moisturize the beard and most conditioners do that, conditioners in general also strengthen the hair or in our case whiskers and that is not something we want to do in readying them for cutting. He makes the case for moisturizing the whisker while also damaging or weakening the cuticle of the hair, thus making it easier to cut. Hope I've been helpful and haven't mis-interpreted anything here.

Al

when deploying on exercise or deployment I always packed this. I found it the best and easiest way to shave under those conditions. Less to carry, easy packup etc.

You should not shave with hair conditioner, conditioner besides having moisturizing properties stregthens hair which is the last thing you want to do before or during a shave.

Contrary to advertisements ("If it's on TV, it must be true!"), hair conditioners -- even fancy ones with "provitamins and protein and tigers and bears oh my" and other voodoo -- do little beyond moisturizing the hair. We've not come very far from hair tonics with a bit of glycerine in them, really.

I have said it before and will say it again. It is hard to beat good ole' Noxzema (the stuff in the blue container) as a pre-shave. I use it often and just lather up right over it.

Conditioner in the shower seems to work well for most, but by all means wash it off before shaving.

With that said....I know you have heard this from me before!....but nothing IMO beats Prorasso Pre-shave! I apply it in the shower and a little bit just after...nothing but A+ results for me. If you try the Prorasso and don't agree....I will buy it from you myself!!!!

Smoke

I still regard this hair mask from Avon as the only fantastic non-shaving product that I've used for shaving. Softens stubble like nothing else.

Using it now more as a pre-shave, rinsing most of it off until my skin is just a bit slick. It does work fine to shave with, too, but then I wouldn't get to make lather and whatnot. :biggrin:

I highly recommend trying it (or something similar). Great stuff.

Top Bottom