What's new

Aleppo soap for shaving, an intersting test

I wanted to try something different, since my taylor of bond street soap lasts for "ever".
I found this Syrian aleppo soap made from olive and laurel blade oil, made from methods unchanged since medeval times.

The test was very positive this soap created a very soft foam, and resulted in a very close shave, and the soap was very easy to wash of.

A test i reccomend others to try,

It's a high quality soap I think, perfect for washing body and hair. Tried it for shaving but didn't get a good, lasting lather. Maybe I should give it another try.
And it can be cheap, $2,25 for 200-225 gr at the oriental shop.

I have tried the same thing with my old fashioned Greek pure olive oil soap and it shaves pretty well, too. A bar seems to last just about forever, too. And each bar only cost me 35 cents.

Tim

Tade make an olive oil and laurel shave soap that's exquisite (apart from the scent, that is.)

Tade make an olive oil and laurel shave soap that's exquisite (apart from the scent, that is.)

smells like a wet cardboard box. Good soap, not for shaving.

tadé has a specific shaving soap, never tried it though.

smells like a wet cardboard box. Good soap, not for shaving.

tadé has a specific shaving soap, never tried it though.[/QUOTE]

If you have access to an easy supply of the shave soap I would recommend that you try it. I picked some up the other week and it really is fantastic. It smells like a slightly less stanky version of the Enchante Cube, but apart from that it's all good.
Usually, I don't expect much from Olive Oil shaving soaps, having been burned one too many times by artisanal products off of ebay which used Olive Oil as the main ingredient, I've learned to become cautious. But I'd seen Tade mentioned once or twice before, so when I saw some for sale I decided to give it a go on the off chance.
In my experience, Olive Oil soaps don't like a lot of water and they particularly don't like water that is too hot, and even if you can get a lather it has a shorter life expectancy than a mayfly. My usual soap lathering process involves putting a teaspoon of very hot water on the puck and shaking most of the water out of my brush. With the Tade I put a half tsp. of tepid water on the puck and shook out my brush, but I wasn't expecting what happened next. The lather coming off the Tade was so thick that I coudn't move the brush on top of the puck and my brush (for this particular shave a Plisson HMW 10) became gummed up with the lather. I started adding water in half tsp. increments and after 6 tsps of water that nasty gummy mess in the breech of my brush turned into the richest, thickest most unctious lather I had produced in a long while. This was with my locally very poor water quality.
As a tallow junkie it hurts to admit, but this soap is better than any of the tallow based soaps currently available, and as far as my rotation goes, is second only to my beloved Yardley soaps.
Sorry for the hyperbole, but I don't understand why this soap hasn't had more attention from the various shaving fora.
At 5.50 GBP a puck, it's also very good value.
So, anyone else tried it?

Thanks, should try it. I misread your first post, thought you were talking about the bath soap. (I've sort of had it with the recommendations for trying bath soap as a shaving soap :rolleyes:)

Thanks, should try it. I misread your first post, thought you were talking about the bath soap. (I've sort of had it with the recommendations for trying bath soap as a shaving soap :rolleyes:)

I agree with you on that point, it seems to be a strange anomaly on the various shaving boards, the desire to try non-shaving products to shave with. If I want soap, I buy soap and don't expect to shave with it; if I want to shave with soap, then I buy a shaving soap. But maybe I'm just oversimplifying things.:confused:
Kind regards,
Alex

I use to have a Tadé SS that I just sold 2 days ago.
You can also use a classic Alepo soap (Tadé or not) as a shaving soap,especially if you are allergic to normal soap. It's also great as a shampoo and a shower or bath soap.
It's really one of the greatest (if not the greatest) soap for sensitive skin. Takes some time to get use to the smell of this soap but give it a go ,it's worth it!

1627831502790.png
1627831536506.png
1627831807141.png

Just bought the Tadé shaving soap + tin from thealepposoapcompany.com. Very, very curious about the product. I have been using an truely excellent artisanal castile (100% olive oil) soap for bathing recently and never experienced such a soft, smooth lather. (It almost had a snotty 'gooiness' about it). I didn't try it for shaving though, but now that I think of it maybe I should have...
At the same time I purchased my Aleppo shaving soap, I also bought a few bars of original Aleppo soap for bathing from alepposoap.uk. Then I can try both of them side by side for shaving. Almost too natural to be true ;-)

Top Bottom