What's new

What do you think of shaving kits?

To me that kit is over priced. You're probably paying for their "super premium creams".

You can get a good brush at Crabtree & Evelyn ($28), Poraso shaving cream is a good one that can be bought at some corner drug stores ($10), and you can get a "Merkur Heavy Duty Safety Razor wtih Bar" ($29) as well all without breaking the $100 price quoted in the link. I've quoted the cream and razor from http://westcoastshaving.com.

Hope this helps out.

~~Douglas

I LOVE AoS products, and but their brushes aren't very good. You'd be better off with a Crabtree & Evelyn Best Badger Brush. Buy the oil, cream, and balm if you want, but don't waste your money on the brush.

If you are going to get a kit from them that one is the only way to go, I got one of them a little over 2 yrs ago they don't have the same cheap brush that is in the small kits but instead a brush that they normally sell for $55 it is a great brush or at least mine is I still use it about 1-2x a week and since new it hasn't lost any hair it is only a pure badger so it is a little scratchy but that is ok sometimes and it has softened up a little over time, the other products in that kit are full size containers not samples that if purchased seperately would alone add up to $82. I will say personally I like there creams and afterhave balms but I find there pre-shave oil too heavy and rarely use any pre-shave oil anyhow.

As others mentioned there are cheaper kits from other vendors or you can put together one yourself and save some money depending on what you include but that one is not bad if you like those items especially the balm and the pre-shave oil.

IMHO...AOS has great stuff...but very pricy!! You could certainly put together a fine kit right here on the BST and save many $$$$.

I view a kit as a compromise - if there are 5 items, I can be fairly sure that I'll not like at least one... so 20% is not what I wanted at all.

On the other hand the kit may be more than the sum of it's parts.

One kit what I like is this http://www.anthony.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodshow/vid/332/catid/193
Great products especially like the pre shave oil. Nice mild orange scent and refreshing feeling.
I don't use this every day but sometimes I'll like to spend a little longer time in bathroom for de-stressing :tongue: and then the pre shave oil is nice addition.
Normally I use soaps and occasionally creams and it's fine for me EDC.
Kit doesn't include brush but there is a lot of good one's in the market even in a cheap price.

Okay, look, you've been asking about very specific combos that change several times a day for several weeks now.

No matter what kit you ask about, some folks are going to say, "That's a great setup!", some folks will say, "That's a terrible setup" and others will say "Meh. So-so", or "I'd change this".

But the fact of the matter is, only YOU can decide what works best for you, and nobody will be able to tell you how long a kit will last.

Eventually, you're just going to have to pick something, but since you seem to spend an inordinate amount of time min/maxing (RPG-geek term) in an attempt to find the "perfect" setup, I feel compelled to tell you there isn't one. Period.

Just get a cheap brush, cheap razor, cheap cream, cheap balm and some blades and then just change out things you don't like; since you went cheap from the start, it won't be too hard on your pocketbook and you'll get a bit of variety.

My 2 cents:

as far as Sos goes:

Their brushes suck and I wasn't too impressed with their products either.

In general, I don't like kits with a preshave oil, a shaving soap or cream and an aftershave all the same scent I find the scent at the end of the shave way to over powering.

I would say as stated many times in this thread mix and match find the setup that works for you. That includes tenique combinations of raors with different blades a combination of different brushes soaps and creams.

To me wet shaving is about much more than the end result it's about the journey of getting there.

I LOVE AoS products, and but their brushes aren't very good. You'd be better off with a Crabtree & Evelyn Best Badger Brush. Buy the oil, cream, and balm if you want, but don't waste your money on the brush.

I agree -- my wonderful SWMBO bought me a travel kit from AoS and got me started down the DE path as a result, but the brush is just so-so. The C&E BBB brush is definitely better than the little travel brush from AoS, and the B&B Essential brush blows both of those two away.

The AoS balm is really top flight, and the shaving cream is very good. But the oil is terribly overpriced, as are the brushes.

Top Bottom