What's new

Gentleman's Essentials: Unloading a Handgun

Don't write SA off just as a knee-jerk reaction. When you consider that the vast majority of armed encounters involve less than 4 shots, the choice really should depend more upon which weapon the individual has the most familiarity and skill with. For close range, it would be hard to beat a Sheriff's model loaded with heavy slugs over a maximum charge of black powder. If you missed, you could still incinerate them with the muzzle blast. :biggrin:

You're right that familiarity with a weapon should be one of the top considerations in a carry weapon. That said, to fire more than one shot quickly a person must use both hands to operate a SA revolver. For me that does disqualify the SA revolver from CCW use. Plus, most SA revolvers cannot be carried safely cocked, and for most you can forget about trying to reload in a firefight if it does last longer than 5 or 6 shots. It doesn't take much training for someone to get used to the operation of a DA revolver, and the DA offers a whole lot of advantages over the SA.

I like the Taurus 85 Ultralight.....it's going to be my next firearm purchase......:wink: I've always been a semi-auto kinda guy but like the revolver for ultra light off duty carry........

Excellent thread but would modify safety rules 2 & 3 as follows:

2. NEVER POINT THE FIREARM AT ANYTHING YOU DON’T INTEND TO KILL OR DESTROY. (Instead of "SHOOT").

3. KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET [and YOU ARE READY TO KILL OR DESTROY IT].

I have found that "shoot" too often fails to convey the gravity of the danger inherent in mishandling firearms, whereas "kill or destroy" drives the point home.

Love the graphics and explanation, btw.

Safety training can save your life.
Even when drunk, an idiot with good training can clear a gun without killing room-mates. I know. Dead drunk, I decided to clear an ancient Spanish auto pistol. I went through the steps correctly, almost. Remove mag. Rack slide. Reinsert mag. Drop hammer (

point at remote baseboard first!

).

BANG!

Oh, S***!.

I'm perfectly sober! Really!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
The History Channel should do a segment on Shotguns (say like a Automatic / Combat 12 Gauge shotgun with open breach, safety, load, loading and firing). :gunsmilie:

Christopher :badger:

Last edited:
As an Australian who has never fired a gun (gun ownership being very rare in Australia unless you are a farmer) I found this very informative. Thank you.

Excellent thread but would modify safety rules 2 & 3 as follows:

2. NEVER POINT THE FIREARM AT ANYTHING YOU DON’T INTEND TO KILL OR DESTROY. (Instead of "SHOOT").

3. KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET [and YOU ARE READY TO KILL OR DESTROY IT].

I have found that "shoot" too often fails to convey the gravity of the danger inherent in mishandling firearms, whereas "kill or destroy" drives the point home.

Love the graphics and explanation, btw.

I agree. When I teach my classes I always say:

Never point your weapon at anything you don't intend to kill, cripple, detonate, or destroy.

Top Bottom