What's new

Gentleman's Essentials: Unloading a Handgun

If you didn't cover it, I'll add my two-cents on making an open-bolt firearm safe in the rare off-chance you do find one that you need to unload. Sub-machine guns like Uzis, Mac-10s, Thompsons, Stens, etc. are all examples of open-bolt firearms.

1) Keep your finger off the trigger and keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

2) Remove the magazine and verify that there is no round in the chamber.

3) Holding the cocking knob, found usually on the top or the side, pull the trigger and ride the bolt closed.

I have several firearm videos up on YouTube that include either a shotgun or a rifle and how to unload them.

Remington 870 Shotgun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkPJHzw4PXg&feature=channel_page

Mossberg 500 Shotgun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKbWcPdTRBI&feature=channel

M-1 Garand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnjxnwCRz5k&feature=channel_page

AK-47
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qXCb0TFtHc&feature=channel_page

AR-15 (same as an M-16)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btewvXGw8F0&feature=channel_page

Last edited:
Deacon,

Just read this post. As an Active Duty member AND 10 year law enforcement professional, I can honestly say...thanks for this post! Its a great, introductory method to a newb picking up their first firearm. Your top 3 Must Dos are so important for anyone picking a gun up.

Everyone should always remember...the minute you touch the gun, it might be loaded. Thus, even when you pick it up from the table the first time...the question to ask yourself is "where is the barrel pointed?" Even if YOU KNOW it is unloaded.

Always treat is as if it were loaded and enjoy your new firearm!

Great post bud!

Great thread--this is a real service to your readers. If I could offer one suggestion, I would say that a version of ru4scuba's comments would be a good addition to your maxims. Maybe something like "Always keep your weapon pointed in a safe direction."

Great thread--this is a real service to your readers. If I could offer one suggestion, I would say that a version of ru4scuba's comments would be a good addition to your maxims. Maybe something like "Always keep your weapon pointed in a safe direction."

I think #2 on Deacon's list covers it:

2. NEVER POINT THE FIREARM AT ANYTHING YOU DON’T INTEND TO SHOOT.

Seems like a perfect place to reiterate the four major rules of firearms safety:

1) All guns are loaded
2) Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction
3) Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire
4) Know your target, and what's behind it

Adhereing to these simple rules will prevent the vast majority of firearms injuries.

And yes (since this was brought up), being familiar with guns is both manly, and "gentle"-manly. It's sad that much of Western culture has been brainwashed, and feminized, to the point that many people would believe otherwise. When did the ability to protect one's household become uncouth? If anything, it seems rather chivalrous to me.

ETA: I was right. From dictionary.com:

chivalry –noun, plural -ries. 1. the sum of the ideal qualifications of a knight, including courtesy, generosity, valor, and dexterity in arms....

Last edited:
Another arfcommer, huh? Nice avatar. One of the guys on a gun board got an AR15 bolt face tattoo like that. We mess with him every now and again and ask why he's got a tattoo of Pac-Man wearing a top hat....

Excellent tutorial, Deacon. One of the things I've learned that you have to do when teaching newbies is keep it simple. You can teach them how to safely handle and clear 99.99% of firearms in about 15 minutes, but you can't waste time and confuse them with obscure systems or models. When I teach them, I use 5 guns. A safe-action (striker fired) pistol (GLOCK, S&W M&P, etc.), a SA pistol (1911), a DA/SA pistol (SIG P226), a DA revolver, and an SA revolver. Actually, I think that's the only thing this tutorial is missing. If you could cover the SA revolvers with the loading gate instead of the swing out cylinder, I think you'd have everything covered.

The reason I didn't cover SA revolvers is that on most you must bring the hammer back to half **** to open the gate and turn the cylinder. I felt that someone with no experience would be placing themselves and others at great risk with that one.

Ahh, good point. It's become such second-nature to me that I forgot that you have to put it on half-**** first. I'd have remembered that if I had one near me, but my college doesn't allow CC.:c7:

Glock 23 in the tutorial. Also starring an Argentine Colt 1911A1, a Taurus 85 Ultralight and a S&W M&P in .38 Special.

You CC a SA revolver?

No. SIG P226. I was feeling a little lazy and didn't want to type "guns on campus." Bring a gun on campus, get a free expulsion. I know my SIG forwards and back because it's my carry piece, but since I only handle an SA revolver about 8 times a year, sometimes I get a little rusty on the handling (but don't worry, I still keep it safe.:wink:)

No. SIG P226. I was feeling a little lazy and didn't want to type "guns on campus." Bring a gun on campus, get a free expulsion. I know my SIG forwards and back because it's my carry piece, but since I only handle an SA revolver about 8 times a year, sometimes I get a little rusty on the handling (but don't worry, I still keep it safe.:wink:)

Ah, that makes more sense. SA revolvers are certainly very cool and have their place, but I never thought CC was one of them. And as a grad student I hear you on the campus thing. I don't live on campus, but I can't carry there. Unfortunately it is also about the most dangerous area I travel in and the place I'm most likely to need my CCW.

Ah, that makes more sense. SA revolvers are certainly very cool and have their place, but I never thought CC was one of them. And as a grad student I hear you on the campus thing. I don't live on campus, but I can't carry there. Unfortunately it is also about the most dangerous area I travel in and the place I'm most likely to need my CCW.

Don't write SA off just as a knee-jerk reaction. When you consider that the vast majority of armed encounters involve less than 4 shots, the choice really should depend more upon which weapon the individual has the most familiarity and skill with. For close range, it would be hard to beat a Sheriff's model loaded with heavy slugs over a maximum charge of black powder. If you missed, you could still incinerate them with the muzzle blast. :biggrin:

Top Bottom