What's new

Knot Setting Problem

This may be self-correcting, but...

I had a knot pop out of one of my brushes, so I figured I'd reset it.
I wrapped the hairs in plastic wrap and held them closed with a rubber band.

Made sure everything was dry as a bone.

I used Loctite 2-part Marine Epoxy. The package says 50 minutes, but 2 hours after setting the knot, it began to pull out of the handle. The epoxy was still really soft and gummy. I reset and decided to leave it alone.
Full cure is apparently 24 hours on the back of the package.

That will be this evening.
The house isn't particulary cold and it's sitting in a dry location with decent air flow. Will my brush be ready for use late tonight? Is this normal?
I'm used to 5 minute epoxy resins that lock up in a matter of minutes, so I guess I'm a bit paranoid.

setting down inside the handle may take it a bit longer than normal to fully cure, would be my assumption.
I used one of the fast drying epoxies when I did mine, can't remember which right now, but so far so good. I'm considering using marine epoxy in the future, but even though it's a brush constantly in contact with water, I don't see it as constantly submerged in water so I'm predicting my regular epoxy to be just fine. Time will tell, but I allowed mine a full 2 days to dry, considering it's particular application - talk about the hardest 2 days to wait! :biggrin1:

This may be self-correcting, but...

I had a knot pop out of one of my brushes, so I figured I'd reset it.
I wrapped the hairs in plastic wrap and held them closed with a rubber band.

Made sure everything was dry as a bone.

I used Loctite 2-part Marine Epoxy. The package says 50 minutes, but 2 hours after setting the knot, it began to pull out of the handle. The epoxy was still really soft and gummy. I reset and decided to leave it alone.
Full cure is apparently 24 hours on the back of the package.

That will be this evening.
The house isn't particulary cold and it's sitting in a dry location with decent air flow. Will my brush be ready for use late tonight? Is this normal?
I'm used to 5 minute epoxy resins that lock up in a matter of minutes, so I guess I'm a bit paranoid.

You should be fine...if the epoxy was not too old and if you mixed exactly as directed. Heat can speed up the reaction, so a warm spot would help.

If you're not getting the right set within 5-10 minutes of when the package says, and you're at the right ambient temperature range, you didn't use enough hardener - I usually go just a tad over on hardener-to-resin ratio to make sure the stuff will set.

Good luck! I hope it worked out.

I've been told by David Borek of Blankity-Blanks that slow curing epoxy gives a better bond.
I bore my hole about 1/16 of an inch larger then the knot, I wrap the hair where it meet the plug with masking tape.
If the plug is really smooth, rough it up a bit with some 80 grit sandpaper, this give the epoxy something to grab on to.
Coat the plug and the hole with a thin layer of epoxy, seat the plug twisting it so that it's firmly bedded.
Very carefully wipe off any squeeze out of epoxy, leave in a
room temperature place to dry for 24 hours.
I've never had a plug come loose.

Torz, yeah, just the hairs.

It worked, BTW, just needed to give the epoxy time. From now on, I'll know that quality marine epoxy adhesives need a good 24 hour cure time before use, maybe even 36 hours just to be on the safe side.
Thanks, folks!

Top Bottom