Favorite Dressings

• I like cream based

• I like oil based

• I like both

• Salads are for rabbits

• I cried when I ate my salads

• Art is the King!!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I may have mentioned to some of you in passing that I have eaten a salad for lunch at work nearly every day for a year. All part of my weight loss and get healthy decision after stepping on the scale during my big 4-0 physical last year. :eek: <--That guy right there pretty much sums up my reaction. FWIW, btw and if you care it has worked. Down 35 lbs so far.

Anyway on to the purpose. I really need some new ideas for salad dressings. I've tried every variety of Ranch, Thousand Island and plain Vinegar/Oil. I need to shake things up and add some variety or I'm going to lose my mind. Specifically I'd like to hear brand as well as flavor. As in: "Hi Shep. It's marvelous you're looking fine and fit these days. I also find you to be highly intelligent and entertaining. I wish to invite you to my next cocktail party. I enjoy Blue Cheese made by Kraft." Or something along similar lines.

I have included a meaningless poll to get you to enter this thread as everyone loves to vote in B&B polls. Your answer there is of no consequence to me. However your answer here is. So give me some ideas. And oh yeah, Thanks.

Make your own - way cheaper and tastier.

To kick this off, my favourite all-purpose dressing is a mustard vinagrette that uses the following:

Olive oil
White balsamic vinegar
Dijon mustard
Salt
Pepper
Fresh/dried herbs

I use a good quality extra-virgin olive oil and the WHITE balsamic in a ratio of between 2/3 and 3/4 to 1/3 and 1/4.

I then whisk in my Dijon (use the regular, not the one with seeds) - if I'm making a 1/2 cup of dressing, I'll use about a teaspoon or so.

Once the three first ingredients are nicely emulsified, I add my salt (kosher or fleur de sel), fresh pepper and whatever herbs I feel like using to taste.

You can play with this however you want - add some garlic or finely minced shalots if that turns your fancy, play with the herbs, add a little spice, etc.

This takes minutes to make, keeps well and is good on most salads - I really like it on a Nicoise-style salad.

There are tons of great dressing recipes out there - try making your own!

There's a schism in my household regarding salads. I love the zangy goodness of a good blue cheese dressing or crumbled gorganzola but the gf can't stand the idea of little blue moldy bits. There seems to be no middle ground on this issue so we haven't build a bridge of consensus over our leafy greens. Thankfully she is traveling right now so the "roq" is on the table for the time being.

I really liked the tangy tomato dressing at Outback, there's a sweet and spicy catalina/french (can't remember which), I think it's Kraft, that comes fairly close to it

Congrats on your weight loss.:thumbup:

If you have a Trader Joe's in your area, they have excellent salad dressings. My two favorites:

1. Creamy Basil
2. Cranberry, Walnut and Gorgonzola.

Sometimes I'm happy with good ol' EVOO and lemon juice

Both baby. All depends on the mood. If they have creamy garlic, it wins hands down. If not, a nice italian oil gets the chance.

I like Caesar and honey mustard dressings. Vidalia Onion is good as well. I have been using Kraft Zesty Italian however. It isn't bad, it isn't too expensive (not compared to the lettuce), and it doesn't harm my diet.

Hi Shep. It's marvelous you're looking fine and fit these days. I also find you to be highly intelligent and entertaining. I wish to invite you to my next cocktail party. I enjoy Good seasons Dressing. they make several different seasoning mixes that you add to a mixture of oil and vinegar, they have instruction of oil to vinegar ratios for regular and light if you want less oil.

I really enjoy just a squeeze of lime or lemon with a little course salt and fresh ground pepper. Great flavor, no fat, and it seems to perk up everything else.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Hi Shep. It's a real shame that you're looking lethargic and fat these days. I also find you to be completely unintelligible and a total bore. I wish to ensure that you do not attend my next cocktail party. I enjoy home-made salad dressing: olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, basil and oregano. I also sprinkle parmesan cheese and cracked pepper on the salad as well. Yum. Too bad you won't be able to attend the party to eat any of it. :tongue_sm

Hi Shep. It's a real shame that you're looking lethargic and fat these days. I also find you to be completely unintelligible and a total bore. I wish to ensure that you do not attend my next cocktail party. I enjoy home-made salad dressing: olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, basil and oregano. I also sprinkle parmesan cheese and cracked pepper on the salad as well. Yum. Too bad you won't be able to attend the party to eat any of it. :tongue_sm

:ohmy:

I really liked the tangy tomato dressing at Outback, there's a sweet and spicy catalina/french (can't remember which), I think it's Kraft, that comes fairly close to it

Oops, looks like I forgot an important step:
"Hi Shep. It's _________ (adjective) you're looking _________ (adjective) and _________ (adjective) these days. I also find _________ (a person) to be highly _________ (adjective)and _________ (adjective). I wish to _________ (verb)you to my _________ (adjective)_________ (adjective)_________ (noun). I enjoy _________ (verb)_________ (adjective)_________ (noun)with _________ (adverb) _________ (verb)_________ (and) _________ (adjective) _________ (noun)."

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Oops, looks like I forgot an important step:
"Hi Shep. It's _________ (adjective) you're looking _________ (adjective) and _________ (adjective) these days. I also find _________ (a person) to be highly _________ (adjective)and _________ (adjective). I wish to _________ (verb)you to my _________ (adjective)_________ (adjective)_________ (noun). I enjoy _________ (verb)_________ (adjective)_________ (noun)with _________ (adverb) _________ (verb)_________ (and) _________ (adjective) _________ (noun)."

I don't like too much noun my salad. It makes me adverb verb.

Make your own - way cheaper and tastier.

To kick this off, my favourite all-purpose dressing is a mustard vinagrette that uses the following:

Olive oil
White balsamic vinegar
Dijon mustard
Salt
Pepper
Fresh/dried herbs

Dang, you beat me to it! Anything with Dijon is good. :)

Top Bottom