What's new

Well stocked home bar

I'm with Bob on this one, my bar is my bar. It's specifically to my tastes and doesn't cater to mixing drinks (something I despise in nearly all cases) or entertaining. I've got about 35 bottles of Scotch and Bourbon, a handful of good tequilas, a couple brandies, and a couple of premium gins. That's all I've got in terms of variety.

I had a nice bar that I am slowly liquidating.

A few good cocktail sites are
DrinkBoy http://www.drinkboy.com/
and Robert's small screen network: http://www.smallscreennetwork.com/
Cocktail Chronicles http://www.cocktailchronicles.com/
Spirit World http://www.thespiritworld.net/
A gifted bartender's page: https://spiritsandcocktails.wordpress.com/

Some rarer things that I have:

Bitters: Reagan's Orange, Pechauds, Fee's Bourbon Aged (there is now an American company getting FDA approval for some sick new bitters, http://bittermens.com/, and a German due of Bartenders that make excellent bitters, truly excellent)

Orange Flower Water

Pisco, Peruvian or Chilean brandy

Maraschino Liqueur

Creme de Violette (http://www.alpenz.com/portfolio.htm, some excellent rare and hard to find spirits)

Green Chartreusse

Orgeat almond syrup (Fee's)

Orange Curacao - good stuff, not some Bols generic version

Benedectine - underused in cocktails but makes some wonderful ones

Torani Amer (acceptible substitute for Amer Picon)

Herbsaint, a New Orleans pastis

Home-made SoCo-soaked cherries for garnish

Various fruit brandies,vodkas, gins, whiskey's, but that was when I drank a lot.

As an aside, Gin is often underappreciated, but five fantastic ones, in no particular order, are Plymouth, Aviation, Junipero, Old Raj, and Hendricks

Some excellent vodka made in the states: Death's Door, Rehorst, Square 1, and I'm sure everyone knows about Tito's

M

modern man

I'm with Bob on this one, my bar is my bar. It's specifically to my tastes and doesn't cater to mixing drinks (something I despise in nearly all cases) or entertaining. I've got about 35 bottles of Scotch and Bourbon, a handful of good tequilas, a couple brandies, and a couple of premium gins. That's all I've got in terms of variety.

Spread the wealth.

I have been told by friends that I have an alcohol problem. Too much alcohol and not enough time to drink it.

Oh a big one dont forget Club Soda, I buy the little glass bottles, the big ones are cheaper, but if you are just making one drink it is not worth it. Now if I am doing like Mojitos I by the plastic bottles.

Speaking of club soda, do seltzer bottles still exist? Are they worth it? Is it a viable replacement for club soda? Do I ask enough questions in one post?

My bar weighs pretty heavily towards my tastes, so if you are a fan of Whisk(e)y, I have a few to choose from. :biggrin:

That being said, I have a few Gins, various Tequilas and even a few bottles of Vodka on hand.

I do know what my friends like so make it a point to accomidate their preferences as well.

Exactly my bar. :wink: Well, add stuff for chocolate martinis for the wife, and it is my bar. :biggrin:

Bob, great point on the ice.

I like whiskey, mostly bourbon. I have an interesting but limited collection of fine bourbons. I also have one bottle of very good single malt scotch whisky.

I have a few other things for mixing - tequila, gin, rum. Sambucca Romana. I want to buy some American blended whiskey and some Canadian whisky, but even when I try to, I usually just end up buying more bourbon. :rolleyes:

I have a few special things. A VSOP and an XO cognac. A 150th Anniversary Grand Marnier.

Then there are the mixing adjuncts. Red and white (or, sweet and dry) vermouths. Angostura bitters. Olives. Etc.

The whole setup is quite small, very focused, and pretty good. :tongue:

Tim

rarer things I have:

Fee Brothers:
lemon bitters
orange bitters
peach bitters
mint bitters
old fashioned bitters
orgeat syrup
falernum syrup
American Beauty Grenedine
lime cordial
pineapple syrup
raspberry syrup
blue curacao

Peychaud's bitters
Herbsaint
Luxardo Marischino
Benedictine
Galliano
Green Chartreuse
Dubonnet
Drambuie

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Some people mentioned to get good glasses. At the same time, be sure to have on hand some up-scale hardware like shakers, jiggers, ice-bucket, swizzle sticks, napkins, coasters, and so forth.

Lots of great stuff in this thread and I have nothing better to add re: liquor selections. Here are my tips and adds (hopefully not redundant). . .

I buy club soda, collins, cola, ginger ale and lemon lime in those small, disposable bottles. Easier to store and less waste when you're only making a onesie or twosie.

Frozen orange juice is great to have on hand. No need to have jugs in the fridge - just open the can, spoon out a bit in a glass, add vodka or gin and water or soda or other ingredients and tada. Last summer, I found this also works well for other frozen mixers I ordinarily would never have on hand (pina colada, etc.). Store what you do not consume in a small tupperware.

When guests drop by, I fling open the bar and we have at it. I stock good liquor, but I do not keep the really, really, really very good booze in the bar. Its not stinginess! If you've ever had the misfortune of having an uninformed guest put some ice and a nice long shot of 18 Yr The Macallan in a glass and then top it off with coke, you'll learn to put the best aside and bring it out judiciously (or at least with an offer to let everyone give it a try and a statement that its to be imbibed straight).

I also stock toothpicks (long ones for olives/onions in martinis), a small cutting board with a sharp knife, lemon and lime juicer (I like the old school kind that turns the fruit inside out), sugar cubes (check your bartender's guide and you'll see that these come in quite handy), and a clean bar towel.

Hope that helps a bit.

I need to shoot a pic, unfortunately the cabinet is packed rather tight. Actually, not everything fits in there unfortunately.

Here is a list of most of the stuff...

Scotch Whisky
Aberlour 10
Aberlour A'Bunadh
Ardbeg 10
Ardbeg Uigeadal
Balvenie FR
Balvenie 12 DW
Balvenie 15 SB
Balvenie 17 Sherry Wood
Bowmore 12
Bruichladdich 10