What's new

Indulgence of the Night 9/25 - 10/1

Don't get lazy on me, here, folks. Let's hear about those great meals, drinks, smokes, etc.

I'll start us off. Pork cutlets, covered with prosciutto and pounded together nice and thin, sauteed and served with a nice garlic and brown sauce. Don't forget the fresh baguette to sop up that sauce.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
You people who have time to cook dinner bug me. :001_smile

Not really, just make me a little jealous on another long night in the office.....

Maybe I'll be home by midnight. Maybe, but not likely.

PS - Scotto, what's in that brown sauce, anyway, besides a lot of garlic? I rather like this idea. Is it just pan drippings with flour and some broth? And seasonings, especially garlic, of course.....

Scotto, I don't know if it could be considered to be "indulgent", but I just started making a nice, big pot of homemade chicken & rice soup... It won't be ready until tomorrow, but I'll be eating well then!

I have some decent Cognac in the cubboard at home.... Maybe I shall have a glass when I finally arrive there, with a chapter of a good book. (Well, Clancy, which I don't usually qualify as high quality, per se, but I enjoy it, and at that hour my brain is not up for Dostoyevsky, which is the other thing I am reading at the moment).

IOTN
Grilled jerked turkey with sweet potatoes grilled and a salad from the garden!

Last edited by a moderator:
moses said:
You people who have time to cook dinner bug me. :001_smile

Not really, just make me a little jealous on another long night in the office.....

Maybe I'll be home by midnight. Maybe, but not likely.

PS - Scotto, what's in that brown sauce, anyway, besides a lot of garlic? I rather like this idea. Is it just pan drippings with flour and some broth? And seasonings, especially garlic, of course.....

Too darn easy. After the prosciutto and pork are pounded out together, they get a quick dredge in flour, then sauteed. Remove from pan, remove oil, but not fond, cook out the garlic briefly, then add chicken stock (I use store-bought). Reduce that by half, add some herbs (I used fresh sage), some lemon juice, and a bit of butter to enrich the sauce. Voila!

edit: Jim, that turkey looks awesome!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Tonight was pork chops pizzaiola. My daughter castigated me for eating pork during the Jewish holidays. Her lecture quickly turned to the horrors of eating meat, in general- "You shouldn't eat animals. How would you like it if someone ate you? Nobody should eat any animals. Except bacon. Everybody loves bacon". I love arguments that resolve themselves without my having to say a word.

My all time favorite cooking tip, one that can make you look like a culinary genius, is to make stocks in the biggest pots you have. Reduce them to demi glace consistency, then freeze in ice cube trays. Pop a cube into your saute pan- et voila! They take up hardly any space, will melt almost instantly, and provide that all important extra dimension.

Yesterday I worked on a "manestra" soup - a Greek recipe involving Beef (or lamb), Orzo (knowns as manestra in Greece), some onions and celery, and a beef/tomato stock. Tonight it was clear that yesterday's hours of slow cooking paid off -- with a squeeze of lemon and a spoonfull of grated pecorino into each bowl, this soup pretty much was a meal in itself. At the moment, midnight, I'm enjoying a bit of 10 Yr. Old Laphroaig while petting the dog (who is content on the couch beside me). The Girl is asleep, and I can watch Letterman in peace. All is right with the world...

Night Shift worker here...

Strawberry Mini-Wheats
Banana/Strawberry/Peach Yogurt smoothie (for the drive to work)
bowl of MacBaren London Burley Blend and a pinch of Perique (also for the drive)

BTW...I'm writing this from work. PLEASE dont hate me !!!

8am PST USA....Ron's Perfect Martini......Martini's:a14:

ouch said:
Tonight was pork chops pizzaiola. My daughter castigated me for eating pork during the Jewish holidays. Her lecture quickly turned to the horrors of eating meat, in general- "You shouldn't eat animals. How would you like it if someone ate you? Nobody should eat any animals. Except bacon. Everybody loves bacon". I love arguments that resolve themselves without my having to say a word.

That is just priceless.

ouch said:
... "You shouldn't eat animals. How would you like it if someone ate you? Nobody should eat any animals. Except bacon. Everybody loves bacon"...

Ouch, that is GREAT! An absolutely priceless comment. How old is your daughter? I mean, it would be really "cute" (for lack of a better term) if she is 4 or 5 years old, but (and I'm not being mean or anything) it would be much funnier if she is a teenager.

I love the comment about them being foot shaped soaps.

Actually they're Madeleines before they hit the oven. I made them for Sunday brunch I had with some friends.

Beautiful day yesterday...86 degrees...so figured Steak Fajitas sounded pretty good.

Grilled Flank steak with a secret spice rub made by my wifes uncle in Mexico. Sliced thinly with sauteed onions and peppers...some freshly made guacamole and some spanish rice.

Keeping with the theme I made a nice Margarita on the rocks...chilled salted glass with Corralejo Reposado Tequila. After dinner I enjoyed a bit as well served neat.

rikrdo said:
Night Shift worker here...

Strawberry Mini-Wheats
Banana/Strawberry/Peach Yogurt smoothie (for the drive to work)
bowl of MacBaren London Burley Blend and a pinch of Perique (also for the drive)

BTW...I'm writing this from work. PLEASE dont hate me !!!

8am PST USA....Ron's Perfect Martini......Martini's:a14:

That is classic late night. Have you gotten attached to the liquid sweet tarts.....er...I mean Monster drinks yet?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Wife hit the farmer's market today, so I made some butternut squash soap, grilled zucchini, and roast acorn squash to wash down a couple of honkin' big rib steaks. Fall is in the air.

bearbeard said:
That is classic late night. Have you gotten attached to the liquid sweet tarts.....er...I mean Monster drinks yet?

Since I am subject to "random" Whiz-Quizzes, I do consume ONLY legal substances. Mainly caffiene-based but I am not opposed to the occasional Monster / Red Bull / pick-me-up.

Last night:

T-bone on the grill w/ corn cooked in the husks, a Romeo y Julieta Reserve Real robusto cigar and a small glass of neat white conac.

Needless to say I am eatting cream of wheat this morning and looking to behave (food wise) for the rest of the day.

Had a few friends over for dinner....

Whipped together some creamy polenta and served it with some Italian Sausages cooked with peppers and onions in a spicy marinara sauce. Very easy and very good.

Served with Ruffino Chianti Classico Riserva.

Top Bottom