What's new

gillette slim adjustable settings

i can't visually tell the difference in any of the 1-9 settings 2 looks the same as 9 to me.am i missing something?

Welcome to B&B!

The higher the number the more blade gap (distance between the blade and the safety bar). Set it at 1 and look at the difference and set it at 9 and do the same. You should see a considerable difference between the two.

This may be old news but just in case, when adjusting up, loosen the doors, adjust, then tighten it back down. For going down, just adjust and tighten.

Your razor may need cleaned. The adjustment pushes up part of the bottom plate. When you adjust it the other way, the plate should fall back on its own. However, sometimes it doesn't fall down due to gunk (dried lather, soap scum, etc...) in the razor. If you don't see any difference between a setting of 1 and 9, try cleaning the razor as well as you can. You may need to let it soak in very hot water (some suggest near boiling) but if you have a super slim with plastic parts extremely hot water could damage it. Then, scrubbing bubbles will get most of the crum that you can't get to with a tooth brush.

I can confirm that the plastic parts in a slim won't be damaged by hot water. (I sterlized mine by putting it in the oven for half an hour at about 200C. Plastic parts still ok. :)

Just got it, so, I havent used it yet.

As for the main question. The difference is very slight. We are talking fractions of milimeters. Try comparing setting 1 and 9 to your fingernail (the thickness)

Your razor may need cleaned. The adjustment pushes up part of the bottom plate. When you adjust it the other way, the plate should fall back on its own. However, sometimes it doesn't fall down due to gunk (dried lather, soap scum, etc...) in the razor. If you don't see any difference between a setting of 1 and 9, try cleaning the razor as well as you can. You may need to let it soak in very hot water (some suggest near boiling) but if you have a super slim with plastic parts extremely hot water could damage it. Then, scrubbing bubbles will get most of the crum that you can't get to with a tooth brush.

I second the above post. I inherited a great slim well looked after. Watched serveral posts and was alarmed that may dialled up to over 5 and to 9 for their shaves!!! ***!. :lol: Soon realised (before experience) that one should must clean the razor absolutley. Once this was done, and I KNEW that the adjustment was working as it should all was well and good.

You would find lots of soap scum, even old whiskers even if the DE was well looked after. Don't assume that you can dial up to 9 thinking you are macho when really the adjusters are not working well. Check out the thread on the aggressivness of razors. You will find that eventhough Gillettes that have a 'mild' reputation objectively and honestly cut like the scythes of the reaper when cleaned in patent. Happy reading and shaving. I love my 'clean' slim. :biggrin:

One more thing to look out for is how tight you are screwing it down. If you dong tight it down properly it wont produce the proper gap. Its something i did wrong for the first few shaves.

Where are the plastic parts?
As far as I can tell, my T2 doesn't have any. My understanding is that in 77 (X date codes) they started getting a plastic bottom plate. I have seen them in pictures and the bottom is black and looks plastic but I couldn't tell you if it was completely plastic or plastic coated metal.

Top Bottom