What's new

is there a how to buy a used razor guide?

im looking to buy a Gillette adjustable black handle (as a first razor)(but i might also get a fat boy)

so i dont know what i should be looking for, mechanically or what minor damage is acceptable for these "old"/"used" razors...

Razors are so personal, it's really one person's opinion vs another. For me, I don't like any damage but I am collecting them more than using them.

Some dirt I can handle... just downright nastiness and someone else can deal with it.

PS
It's against regulations to bid on any good condition Gillette razor with an R date code until I have one :lol:

Well, this isn't a 'how-to', but perhaps this old posting I made a few months back will be helpful. While it deals with a query about fixing a razor, it has some tips on what to look for.

Click!

HTH.

-- John Gehman

im looking to buy a Gillette adjustable black handle (as a first razor)(but i might also get a fat boy)

so i dont know what i should be looking for, mechanically or what minor damage is acceptable for these "old"/"used" razors...

I'd recommend posting in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum here. Folks won't steer you wrong. You can buy with less than 50 posts; just no selling.

There's no guide I know of, but here are some things to keep in mind:

1. You want a mechanically good razor - one that works.

2. Cosmetic damage is OK - plate loss, brassing, faded paint on numbers (on a Fatboy or other adjustable), etc.

3. Physical damage is not - you do not want a razor with a bent/missing safety bar, bent/missing teeth, silo doors that don't open/close, severely rusted or chemically damaged razors. I have seen one razor where one of the silo doors was nearly rusted through. That's not a razor you want. But small spots of rust can be easily removed with WD40.

Then you can start searching at local antique stores and flea markets and see what's available. A lot of razors that look horrible (often with white or greenish crust) clean up really nicely.

The main places you don't want any damage is the razor head: the part that holds the blade securely in place and comes in contact with your face.

My favorite razor has some brassing and loss of finish, but shaves beautifully. Which is the idea. :wink:

One of the best things about the old safety razors is that they were built to last and to take a bit of abuse. I have several razors that are 100 years old and they shave just fine.

If you are buying a slim adjustable with a black handle you should have no problem finding one in excellent condition. Older razors such as those made in the 50s may be a little harder to find in excellent/near mint condition. I bought a near mint one recently for about $25 shipped on ebay, for example.

Personally, I wouldn't get one with any plating flaws because finding one without for a reasonable price isn't too hard. A little black paint missing is okay. The adjuster should click properly, the safety bars should not be bent and the doors should close tightly to secure the blade with no problems.

One thing, I would not get a slim with the plastic plate under the head. Get one of the early 70s models that are all metal - more durable.

Oh, and NEVER soak a black handled razor in bleach water to sterilize. It will dissolve the black paint.

Top Bottom