What's new

What do you use to clean you newly bought second hand razor?

Hi,

I just recently purchased a straight razor from a fellow member here and was wondering what I could use to sterilize and clean your razor?

thanks,

One hose down with scrubbing bubbles with antibacterial will do the job. However, I usually buff the blade and scales plus the honing process...those things seem to clean things up well enough for me.

I do not bother with sterilizing. The really nasty bugs (HIV, hep. B & C) do not survive for any significant time outside of the human body. Most of us have staphylococci living on the skin anyway an streptococci in the upper respiratory tract. So: what's the worry?

Usually, when I get a razor I wash it down with antibacterial soap and then its cleaned with metal cleaners which contain some strong chemicals so nothing will live through that. Also, Kees is right considering when these razors were last used I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I scrub any used razor with a detergent and brush, then I soak it in CIDEX for 24 hrs. That's how re-usable medical instruments are cleaned. You can get CIDEX on the internet for about $15/liter, it's basically activated dialdehyde which kills everything including hep C and mycobacterium tuberculosis. It disinfects in 20 minutes and sterilizes in 12-24 hrs at 25 degree C. It's also non corrosive for surgical instruments so it wont damage your razor.

Sevo 75

I always end up sanding/polishing any new razor at least a little before I use it. I don't worry about any creepy crawlies that may have come with the razor after that treatment.

1. Spray with Scrubbin' Bubbles
2. Rinse with hot water.
3. Spray with Scubbin' Bubbles and scrub with medium bristled brush.
4. Rinse with hot water.
5. Soak for 15 minutes in Hydracide.
6. Rinse, Rinse, Rinse.
7. Polish and Wipe Clean.
8. Admire.
9. Put Away.
10. Look at it one more time.

Thanks for the info guys!

I have 3 straights coming in the mail! Can't wait to try them. (I've only used a DE so far:p
Should be interesting! Hopefully I'll still be alive by the end of this week. (I got three major papers due this month:p)

Cheers

Since nobody mentioned it before in this thread: use "Alcohol 96" for disinfecting/cleaning. Or perhaps dip the blade in boiling water for a minute, that's what I would do.

Top Bottom