What's new

Checking In and THANKS ALOT for AD...

I rediscovered wet-shaving in June (after 35 years of plastic razors and goop in a can) and found B&B - took consensus advice and started with a Merkur HD, IPs, Proraso cream, a badger brush, etc.... I got great shaves and actually looked forward to the daily shave. My SO appreciated the non-skritchy face, etc. All was fine.

Reading B&B, I came to think I should maybe try a vintage razor. Early in October I recalled my eBay account... took a look on the Bay... and I just woke up.

Somewhere along the way I picked up a $66 lot (22 razors, 14 useable, including three superspeeds, a red tip, a Krona, a 1908 Single Ring, five beautiful SE's - great shaves - these will deserve a separate post!); an $11 1948 Aristocrat (in box); a $23 1959 Fat Boy (perfect in box); a $12.50 Slim Adjustable (perfect); and... more. Can't wait for the mail today!

And creams. After shaves. A giant bottle of 1411 from Wal-mart. Mugs. Barbicide (of course - NOT barbasol!). Scrubbing Bubbles. Maas polish. 250 q-tips. And... more.

Anyway. Here I am. Thanks... alot.

Jon

Well you certainly jumped in with both feet!

Welcome to the forum, with all that gear you should be busy for a while!

Good luck choosing creams/soaps.

Wow. You are off to a better start than me. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go purchase some more shaving products to keep up with bythebook! :smile:

And a big welcome!

Oh, Doug... just stay away from eBay. And if you MUST look there, DON'T search "Gillette," "safety razor," or - really really don't search: "Gillette safety razor."

and keep your credit card handy!

Jon

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Hi Jon,

Welcome to B&B. Looks like you are really getting into it. I look forward to reading your shave adventures.

Somewhere along the way I picked up a $66 lot (22 razors, 14 useable, including three superspeeds, a red tip, a Krona, a 1908 Single Ring, five beautiful SE's

Jon

welcome, and congrats on the win, sorry about running up the price, but it was too good of a deal to not try, it just happened to be between paychecks for me so i had to give up. how were the gems by the way?

welcome, and congrats on the win, sorry about running up the price, but it was too good of a deal to not try, it just happened to be between paychecks for me so i had to give up. how were the gems by the way?

Ah... so YOU'RE the one!

I finally got the courage to try one of the SEs - after first buying 100 teflon coated blades [cheaper than cartridges, cheaper than disposables... right] - best shave EVER! Two best shaves were from that lot - the single ring & the GEM lightweight (chrome fliptop with a bakelight handle...).

Only problem with this hobby is that I really can't shave more than once a day! And I'm staying away from the brush forum.... Can't afford 'em. ('Course, I had to try a Body Shop synthetic... and... darnit.... I must've saved a thousand dollars already, just on Bic disposables. And Edge gel. At least a thousand.)

Jon

Top Bottom