What's new

NECRO-POST how often do you clean everything....

How often do you clean everything?

As a Stay-at-Home-Dad I tend to clean everyday, but Thursday is pizza/hambugers/hotdogs night which facilitates field day. I don't know why I clean on Thursday, I guess its a hold over from the Corps.

Last Thursday, after I finished cleaning up the bathroom I got out an old toothbrush and scrubbed down the DE razor. This started me thinking.

How often do you clean your shaving gear/kit? I clean my razor once a week when I change out the blade. When to you clean your brush? When do you clean the rest of your kit.

KingSlug

I ususally clean my DE once a week, but occasionally I forget or sometimes just plain don't want to. I usually clean my brush(es) once a month. My lather bowl, I just rinse out after every shave. I figure since it just has water and either soap/cream, it's getting cleaned everytime I use it:biggrin:

I rinse my razors after every shave and once a month they get the baby oil dip to keep them smooth. If I see they are loosing their shine I polish them once a month. Unless I see the brush loose the ability to retain water I leave it alone. If it does a good shampoo does the trick. The bowl gets soap and rinse every day so that takes care of itself.

Rafael

I usually transfer a small amount of either softened soap or cream to a stainless steel bowl where I wisk up the lather. After the shave, there is always some soap ring and scumy build-up along the sides. To remove this I use the shaving brush and clean the bowl with it under the faucet.
If I don't do it this way, the soap build-up will not come off just by rinsing.
Besides just rinsing off after the shave, the DE I clean with a brush once a week...
and the shaving brush I do not clean that often. I cleaned it with borax the other day after reading a post here about cleaning the brush...so I felt guilty about it and cleaned it.

Scorpio said:
I rinse my razors after every shave and once a month they get the baby oil dip to keep them smooth. If I see they are loosing their shine I polish them once a month. Unless I see the brush loose the ability to retain water I leave it alone. If it does a good shampoo does the trick. The bowl gets soap and rinse every day so that takes care of itself.

Rafael

Hey Scorpio and the Gang!

I just started shaving with a DE, but while reading this thread, questions arise.

Background

I've been wet shaving at least since 1993 to the present and prior to that I was wetshaving with the Atra off and on. Usually it was just wet the face, lather (from a can), you're done!

Questions

So I have to ask, when you say you rinse the DE razor, you mean you remove the blade, (in my case) {I have the Long Handle} and rinse all three components? (the handle, the dome, and the plate)

The baby oil dip

I imagine this is a quick dip? When you are done, rinse the baby oil off?

Polishing
And finally, what would you suggest that I use to polish my LH?

Sorry for all the Q's.

Duggo......

Sunday mornings, which is when I change blades as well. I use a 'soap scum' remover designed for use in the bathroom, available at grocery stores under various brand names, i.e., 'Srubbing Bubbles', 'Tilex', etc. It works nearly instantly for removing that filmy soap build-up on my Merkur, and I use it regularly on every brush (gasp!) I own with NO deleterious effects noticed. I've used this stuff literally for years and have never had a problem of any kind. I've read a number of posts touting the use of borax, liquid soap, vinegar, etc., but the soap scum remover I'm referring to is fast and easy to use - try it:smile:

PS - I do not work for cleaning product manufacturers, distributors, etc - I'm only relating my personal experiences. Obviously, use this stuff at your own risk - I've never had a problem, but that doesn't make it fool proof:wink:

I clean a razor after about 1-2 weeks. This cleaning will involve a soak in borax and hot water (~15-20 mins) followed with a gentle scrub with a toothbrush and a quick dip (2-4 mins) in some rubbing alcohol. I clean my brush with shampoo and conditioner about once per week and give it a more thorough borax and water soak about every 1.5 months.

I clean my razor when I change the blade. With brushes, I clean them when I notice they are repelling water vs. absorbing it.

Randy

I clean my razors once a week with soft toothpaste and a toothbrush. More is unnecessary and may not be beneficial to the chrome finish(?)

I clean my razors maybe once a week. I just spray some 'Lime Lite' limescale remover on a toothbrush then give the razor a scrub all over for 30 seconds, then run it under a hot tap and dry it.

I need to use limescale remover or vinegar as the water is very hard here, and you get a chalky buildup on everything quite quickly. I gave my Moss Scuttle a quick clean with the same stuff yesterday too, as it was starting to lose its shine.

Brushes, well I've only been wetshaving for 5 weeks but I shampood my main brush about 2 weeks ago. I guess I'll do that maybe once a month.

Brushes: once a week (if its been used, i have a roation) with 10% white vinegar soln.

Razors: once a week, usually with AO hand wash and toothbrush, Bon Ami if the soap scud is really caked on. (do not use bon ami with gold-plated razors)

I only clean the brush when it starts getting picky about holding water. Every6 to 8 weeks or so I'd estimate.

I give my razors a thorough wipe down when I change the blade out, which is usually after 3 shaves.

I rinse my razor with water after every shave and give it a quick wipe with a cloth. Otherwise, I don't tend to give it any other cleaning. I've also had my brush for over 10yrs and didn't even know I could clean it!?!?????

Hey Duggo,

I have adjustables so I open the doors, take out the blade and rinse it, do not swipe. I rinse the razor to remove left over soap residue and then I replace the blade or place a new blade and close the doors.

I dip the razors in a small bowl and leave them in there overnight or longer if the action needs more lubrication. At most a day. I get out of the bowl and with a old cotton towel I pat it dry all over including inside the silo doors while moving its parts to ensure they move smooth and free.

For polish I first use an old toothbrush and toothpaste, I go to town on the razor, rinse and repeat. I dry it with a towel then I use a little polish, MAAS or Brasso work good. My wife has this stuff that is for cleaning jewelry and you can use it nickel plating. The stuff shines them pretty good without removing or damaging the plating, after buffing then I rinse to get any residue of the polishing agent. I rinse it good, dont want this stuff in my face. Dry the razor and buff to a nice shine

Again this is what works for me. I have incorporated some of Gatorade's procedures as they work very well. If you follow his steps you will be fine.

Rafael

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
So you think there really any new questions we're asking today? How much have the answers changed in 10 years?:001_rolle

I rinse my razor after every shave and give it a quick clean with a soft toothbrush and some soap scum remover once a week.

I also give my brush a thorough rinse and air-dry for at least two days before re-using. I haven't felt the need to try and clean it given that it's getting a soapy wash every day. I suppose I'd pinch a bit of the other half's shampoo if necessary.

Top Bottom