What's new

Help me ID this razor...(pics included)

Can anyone help me ID this razor? I'm pretty sure it's a tech, but I'm not positive. It's got no date code where it is on the rest of my razors, instead there's just an "S". It's still on the underside of the bottom plate, but it's on the raised portion(the bumped out portion that makes the "valley") You can sort of make it out in the first picture. Is this the date code?

It looks similar to the army issue techs, but I thought those were all black. The plate on this one is silver (in color). I found it in my dads stuff, and I know he worked at a PX on a naval base, so it's very likely that he purchased it there, but I have no idea what years he worked there. Early 70's I believe.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated..

It's a WWII issue Tech. They came from several different Gillette plants and differed slightly. They all had the black plastic handles and some had silver heads (like your Dad's) while others had black painted heads. I believe there was even a plastic headed version.

A couple of versions:

proxy.php

proxy.php

It's a WWII issue Tech. They came from several different Gillette plants and differed slightly. They all had the black plastic handles and some had silver heads (like your Dad's) while others had black painted heads. I believe there was even a plastic headed version.

That was my first guess, but I was thrown off by the silver base plate and the lack of date code. Is the "S" on the base plate the date code?

Just wanted to put in that I have a black tech in the same box but with a metal handle. It's a bit different from the normal ball end handle. You can see a pic of it in the wiki.

BTW, I suggest one of you fine gents add a picture of the bakelite-handled version to the aforementioned wiki entry.

Top Bottom