What's new

A Tale of Two Big Fellows...

A few months ago, my active quest in the shaving world was to find a Gillette Big Fellow in excellent condition...For whatever reason, I ended up with two. :blush: I believe both are from the same era (maybe a few years apart), but one is American and one is English. When I compared them, I noticed some interesting differences in their construction.

So, without further ado, here is a little pictorial highlighting my observations of these differences. (I don't claim to be an expert by any stretch of the imagination, so please feel free to include any input or additional information you might have! Many thanks to Copperhead and Merwtje for helping me with my quest.)

full

Here they are. The American version is on the left in the above photo, the English is on the right. Note the difference in color of the plating. Again, I'm not an expert, but the American Big Fellow looks like it has chrome or rhodium plating. As for the English one, I'm not sure. (I don't have a scale, or I would include their weights.)

full

Here you can see a difference in the underside of the two razor heads. The American NEW head is completely flat, whereas the English version has a raised area in the middle.

full

This side view helps illustrate the differences in the razor heads. The head of the English version shows slightly more curvature than the American one. You can also see that the teeth of the English Big Fellow are shaped differently--they are longer and more curved. If you look closely, you can also see that the smooth rings on the handle of the English version are smaller than those on the American version. The bottom ring of the American one reads: "Pat. Jan 13, 1920 USA Other Patents Pending." The English version reads: "Brit Pat. Nos 352975-6-7-363892."

full

The inner workings of these two razors differ as well. Starting with the razor bodies in the foreground, you can see that the hole in the top of the English version is slightly larger than its American counterpart. The English version is also missing the serial number that the American one has stamped on its razor head (which reads "147560"). The shapes of the knob pieces also differ significantly. The English version is shorter, and it does not have the rifle-shell appearance of the American one. Likewise, their accompanying razor pieces have threaded screws of different lengths that accommodate the size difference. On these top pieces, you can also see a difference in the shape of their blade-positioning bars (two long bars on the American version, two shorter bars on the English one).

Interestingly, the top and bottom pieces can not be changed from one razor to another--even though the exteriors of both razor bodies are very similar, the shape of the metal on the inside of the razor bodies will not allow it.

full

As far as differences in shaving quality, I'm afraid I haven't shaved with either of them enough to give a definitive answer. Needless to say, both shave very aggressively, and both instill fear in the hardiest of whiskers...I'll update when have a better idea. :001_smile

Hope you folks enjoy this as much as I did putting it together! If you have anything to add--information, experiences, etc...please jump right in!

Happy shaving!

EDIT: The post has been changed to reflect that these are "NEW" Big Fellows and not "NEW-IMPROVED" Big Fellows. Thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure those aren't New ImprovedBig Fellows they are NEW's (Big Fellow - or at that point I think they were called Big Boy's). And man, those are nice specimens.

I think the NEW Big Fellow/Boy's are less common than the New Improved or Old Style Big Fellows. You done good. The NEW's are awesome shavers. :thumbup1:

I'm pretty sure those aren't New ImprovedBig Fellows they are NEW's (Big Fellow - or at that point I think they were called Big Boy's). And man, those are nice specimens.

I think the NEW Big Fellow/Boy's are less common than the New Improved or Old Style Big Fellows. You done good. The NEW's are awesome shavers. :thumbup1:

Hmmm, I was under the impression that the Big Boy lacks the uppermost smooth ring of the big fellows. Check this out...

The reasons I believe them to be New Improved Big Fellows are the thin smooth rings (thinner than the old types) and the flat bottom of the American version's head (which I thought was considered the "new improved" head). I could be wrong, though.

Hmmm, I was under the impression that the Big Boy lacks the uppermost smooth ring of the big fellows. Check this out...

The reasons I believe them to be New Improved Big Fellows are the thin smooth rings (thinner than the old types) and the flat bottom of the American version's head (which I thought was considered the "new improved" head). I could be wrong, though.

The New Improved would have guide pins instead of the positioning bar.

Ah yes, Big Fellow, not Big Boy. But definitely NEW.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Wonderful intelligent post with superlative photos of two incredible razors! Thank you for posting info on some of King Gillette's finest work.

I have been searching for a stainless NEW but the NEWs mostly show up gold plated, while I see plenty of the OLD type come up in stainless (or are they silver plated).

These must be so good that people are reluctant to see them go.

I have several Big Fellows dating back to the original. The News and NI's are great, but I don't care for the originals as much (much too aggressive more me).The Big Fellows are my favorite razors. I didn't know there was an English version (now I need to fix that). Congrats on the post and for acquiring two beautiful specimens.

Seems like it was pretty well clarified three and a half years ago... although they're actually Big Boys rather than Big Fellows (the NEW DeLuxe one was at least, not sure how they were marketed in the UK), but still...

Alex,
Pulling up a 4 year old thread doesn't make you any younger does it?
Maybe I'll give it a shot, would love to be in my 30s again.

After reading this 3-4 year old Thread im still Confused :eek:/ i'll get it one.of these days :eek:)

New
New Improved
New Deluxe Big Boy
New Deluxe Big Fellow
New Improved Big Boy
New Improved Big Fellow
New Hybrid
New Deluxe Hybrid

Did i leave anything out?
Did i name a few incorrectly?

Ahiii yhaaa yhaiiii :eek:/

Last edited: