What's new

What Will an Alum Block Do For Me??

Four week newbie here with the DE thing. Man am I having fun flirting with death!! Feathers on a #9 setting on my Fat Boy and NO blood!

In any case, my post routine consists of hot water, cold water, Witch Hazel, Bay Rum, and a post shave moisturizer like Nivea. I was thinking about adding an alum block to use up even more of my precious time and wondered if there was any benefit that exceeded what I was getting from my routine at present.

Thanks in advance!!

Well, if you really need it to consume time, the first option is to take a few moments every day too marvel at the chemical wonder of a 'double salt' crystal, the second is to cut yourself badly, clean up the initial mess and use the alum block to stop the bleeding.
Don't forget to take a while to wince and flinch as the stuff stings badly.

I always use the alum block in the end of my shave, but I only use the styptic pencil if I cut myself. These have different purposes. The pencil is made from a more aggressive material than the alum block, so I use it only to stop bleeding. I use the alum block on my wet uncut face to close the pores and provide a faster healing. Since I began using the alum block at the end of every shave, I have noticed that my razor burns have disappeared and my skin looks better than before.

I've found the alum block eases irritation, and leaves my face feelling really smooth and kinda tightens up the skin (in a good way).

Since I started using it my wife keeps walking up to my just to rub my face and say "Oooohh so smooth."

The alum block willl seal up small nicks but larger ones require the styptic pencil. Alum closes the pores and is an astringent (pretty sure on that). This is also how the witchhazel functions. So if you are already using witchhazel and generally don't get a lot of weepers when you shave I would skip the alum.

I just started using an alum block this week after about 10 months into wet shaving. I am sorry that I did not start earlier.

I use the alum block, rinse, then witchhazel, then AS balm. Good stuff! Something else that I found it is good for is there is a spot under my jaw which is hard to get to so I hit a spot on my cheek and it instantly makes it non-slippery and I can do some serious stretching.

Later,
R

Top Bottom