What's new

Design Your Own Mug

OldSaw

The wife's investment
If you could design your own mug what would it look like?

I'm currently using Play-Doh to mock up a mug that I designed. I started drawing it in CAD but felt I needed a 3D model to better convey my thoughts to the potter. MBW and I have a friend who is a potter. In fact he made the simple shaving soap bowl in my avatar.

I will reserve my design thoughts until I see what the concensus is. If things work out well and my design is something others would like, I will see what I can do to have him make as many as people are willing to order. Actually I have several designs for him to try.

This guy does great work and is a real starving artist. If it wasn't for his wife he would probably have to work a regular job. This allows him to have the best prices at all the shows, so I'm sure this won't break the bank for those who want to participate.

Interesting question.

One thing I can think of right off is a nice large man-sized handle. I have big hands and many mugs have handles that are just too small to be gripped comfortably.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
MasonM said:
Interesting question.

One thing I can think of right off is a nice large man-sized handle. I have big hands and many mugs have handles that are just too small to be gripped comfortably.

I hear you. On one of my mugs I like to hold it in my palm with my thumb in the handle. It's just a little too snug. When I set it down I don't want it to stay attached to my hand.

OldSaw said:

I'm currently using Play-Doh to mock up a mug that I designed. I started drawing it in CAD but felt I needed a 3D model to better convey my thoughts to the potter. MBW and I have a friend who is a potter. In fact he made the simple shaving soap bowl in my avatar.

I will reserve my design thoughts until I see what the concensus is. If things work out well and my design is something others would like, I will see what I can do to have him make as many as people are willing to order. Actually I have several designs for him to try.

This guy does great work and is a real starving artist. If it wasn't for his wife he would probably have to work a regular job. This allows him to have the best prices at all the shows, so I'm sure this won't break the bank for those who want to participate.
You could end up doing an "official" B&B mug. That would be pretty cool. Any thoughts, folks? Depending on what you come up with, I'd be interested.:wink: But to answer the question, I agree on the larger handle, and it might be wider, like a soup mug more than a coffee mug.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
PalmettoB said:
You could end up doing an "official" B&B mug. That would be pretty cool. Any thoughts, folks? Depending on what you come up with, I'd be interested.:wink: But to answer the question, I agree on the larger handle, and it might be wider, like a soup mug more than a coffee mug.

Yes, I like wider. But I also like the size of my old spice mug, so I won't be giving that up. The wider size creates the problem of holding it by the base, which is what I am working on. Wide bowl with easy to grip base.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Hey Palmetto Bug,

How bout those Packers!

It was neat to see that you are a Packers fan, living in SC. I lived in the Low Country for 4 years and I remember how big the Tigers were.

Ah, Favre may still have a few tricks up his sleeve. Granted, Detroit is kinda down now too, but we'll take it.

Tigers roll on...Clemson 52, UNC 7.:cool:

The bottom holds a Mama Bear's soap snugly. It fits closely enough that you could get away without melting it in, although I do anyway. Then, the mug bells out as you go up from the soap. This gives room to build lather over the soap. The mug has this funky round knob handle which works quite well. The only thing about the mug that I don't like is that the handle is hollow and is a good dark place for moisture to collect. I recognize this and drain it after each shave.

GO TIGERS!!!

Steve H.
CU Class of '84, BSME

PalmettoB said:

If your friend can nail even mOst of my requirements, and so long as it does not cost a king's ransom, I will buy one!

As a guy with large hands, I have mixed feelings about large handles. A handle sized for a single finger allows you to brace the rest of your slippery fingers against the cup. A larger handle opening allows you to fit more fingers in, but then the whole cup could slip on you, if your fingers get slick from soap.

My requirements:

1. Smaller-- should hold full about 6 to 8 ounces of water
2. Shallow and wide-- should be no more than 2 1/4 inches high
3. Interior bottom should be curved, not join the sides at a right angle (so a brush can easily pick up the cream)
4. Interior color should be dark brown or black so you can see the cream or soap
5. Ceramic so it will hold a temperature more easily
6. Handle should be big enough for one large finger (see above)
7. Bottom should have impregnated rubber so it will not slip on side of sink
8. lip should be fluted outward slightly to allow whipping action with shaving brush at angle
9. Exterior texture should be textured so it can be picked up not from the handle without slipping
10. Ceramic structure should be thick and sturdy enough to stand up to abuse, the inevitable small drop into the sink, and dishwasher cleaning
11. Exterior should include some classy graphic which indicates its use-- it should have an old-time style since DE shaving is a traditional activity
12. Interior should be non-porous so it does not absorb the oil or scents in the creams and soaps

I would say, think ergonomic ... No, not in a cheesy backless-chair and funky keyboard way. Really examine how one holds a shaving mug.

Specifically, I would look at the angle of the handle on the mug (perhaps swinging up or down), the width of the handle (too wide to grip around, but perfect for resting your thumb in/on), and also a ridge or two to rest the fingers. Maybe even put some deeper indentations on the base to dig your fingers in and really get a good grip. A rubberized bottom would be nice -- guaranteed no-slip.

Also, if it serves the design, a notch to hold a brush would completely dedicate this piece as a shaver's implement.

LedZeppelin said:
The bottom holds a Mama Bear's soap snugly. It fits closely enough that you could get away without melting it in, although I do anyway. Then, the mug bells out as you go up from the soap. This gives room to build lather over the soap. The mug has this funky round knob handle which works quite well. The only thing about the mug that I don't like is that the handle is hollow and is a good dark place for moisture to collect. I recognize this and drain it after each shave.

GO TIGERS!!!

Steve H.
CU Class of '84, BSME
Steve, I looked seriously at the apothecary mug, but have held off so far. Glad to know that about the Mama Bear soap, as I have some on order.:thumbup1:
Nice to see another Tiger on board!

Lately I have been on a fools errand of finding a good lathering mug. Thankfully most have come from thrift stores. I've been away from home for 2 weeks and there are 3 bowls waiting for me to try. Apparently I have SMAD.

One question I have is whether this is a mug for soap or bowl for lathering.

So that being said, It was great to see how much I agree with Scruffyv's list, because it confirms so much of what I've found.

The things that have been significant to me are:
  • Right angled sides haven't worked for me, it should be bowl shaped.
  • I hate hitting the handle of my brush on the side of the mug. So the sides should taper out and be low.
  • I find a standard sized shaving mug too restrictive, I think a 4-4.5" diameter is good, but I have a small brush.
  • For some reason I like mugs/bowls that have a different color on the inside than the outside.

New thoughts from this thread:
  • I like the thumb loop idea.
  • The finger indentations seem like a good idea. I wonder if for symmetry they should just go all the way around the bottom of the bowl.
  • I have no idea how difficult it would be to seal a graphic to the bowl, but if someone designed a classic looking B&B crest or medallion that would be sweet. Perhaps with Badger & Blade in script under it

hello dennis,

please see my post here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=63859&postcount=22

now, if only the sheffield mint would craft them in pewter...

thanks,
mike

OldSaw said:

birchhook said:
The finger indentations seem like a good idea. I wonder if for symmetry they should just go all the way around the bottom of the bowl.

Good thinking. I'm a lefty so symmetry would be important to me.:thumbup1:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Looks like everyone is on the same track. I made a Play-Doh model to show my friend, but have not been to see him. The one I designed has a foot on the bottom so it can be held like a round sharpening stone. This will also give it some nice mass to hold heat.

I was thinking of making the inside slightly rounded but with a few indentations to hold soap still but still rounded so as not to damage badger hair, kind of like if you pressed a lemmon press into some clay.

Large finger/thumb ring was what I was thinking from the beginning. I agree that a regular coffee cup handle just isn't the right feel.

Rubber impregnated bottom sounds nice, but would never survive the firing kiln. When I was in the Navy, we would spread a thin layer of silicone on the bottom of our coffee mugs to keep them from sliding off the table. I think this is something left up to each individual.

I know he and his wife do some simple designs on his other stuff, so I would think something with B&B might be do-able. I'll ask after I get him talked into the basic design first.

Top Bottom