What's new

Merkur 1904 Open Comb VS Gillette Single/Double Ring?

I love my 1906 Single Ring but I feel nervous about using it sometimes... what if I drop one day when I'm sleepier than normal? :eek:

I was wondering if the Merkur 1904 open comb was a copy of the gillette model 100, and if so, how accurate of a copy?

Ideally I'd like to be able to enjoy my single-ring shave quality whenever, but save the century-old razor itself for weekends or special days.

I have experimented with Old Types (model 102, much easier to get spares of) but so far they just aren't the same.

well, you could drop either razor. fate is fate :wink:

the merkur is supposedly a copy, even though i dont think so. at all.

id rather use my double ring, but your single ring is also an equally good shaver.

Of course I could drop either one - but the merkur is easier to replace.

Especially when you factor in the number of ebay razors with bent teeth.

Has anyone else compared them?

I can't say anything specific was "bad" about it, but I was unimpressed with the Merkur open comb. I don't think it shaves as well as the Gillette Old Type. As you probably know, however, everyone has a different opinion about the performance of any razor you can name, so ultimately, only you can tell if you feel they are equal for your use.

Regards,
Tom

The jury is still out on the Merkur open comb here, I've got 3 shims in that sucker, and still cant get past a DFS with it and four passes. I would consider it uber mild for sure. Past that, it is a pretty nice lookin razor, and I don't think I would get rid of it............yet.

I'd just like to share my experience with the merkur 1904:

I have The 1904 open comb head on an iKon bulldog handle, and I just had my closest shave since starting DE with it. It got everything my other razors missed, and with much less irritation. Its funny that it is considered mild, because while I do find that it feels mild, it mows down hair more effectively than my other razors, including my beloved slant 39c. If I had to compare the two, I'd say the slant cuts the hair more effortlessly, but the merkur is no slouch either in that department. And my facial hair is very coarse but only medium thickness. But the slant leaves little bits of hair in a couple problem areas, while the merkur clears that out. Maybe its technique, I don't know, but I'm gonna stick with the merkur for a while, then maybe try the slant again at a later date. But so far, this merkur feels like magic to me and I think the merkur OC head is one of the most underrated razors on here.

Top Bottom