What's new

Praise of Old Spice- Drug store or no?

What type of aftershave do you prefer?

• drug store (O.S., A.V., etc) is my everyday goto

• drug store most of the time, special stuff sometimes

• special stuff most times, drug store sometimes

• specialty stuff all the way

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've used aftershaves and colognes for over 20 years, from cheap to high-end, and I haven't found any that I like better than good old Old Spice.

The sting after the shave, the mellow yet robust smell, and the price and availability make it number one in my book.

I ask ye other brethren, who else here among us prefers the Old Spice/Aqua Velva/ drugstore scents versus the more expensive stuff?

I voted for #2 even though my cabinet is full of what I would call drugstore AS's. The difference being I couldn't get a lot of them at local drugstores so I ordered online. I love the various Pinaud, Stephan, Masters and Lustray scents, AV, OS, EL; I've got a bunch of them. I've tried samplers of several higher end AS's. In addition to being more expensive I find most of them to be less effective in the soothing and moisturizing categories and many of the scents are more perfumed which I really don't like. There are a few exceptions but on the whole I'm a cheap drugstore AS guy all the way.

I voted for specialty stuff all the way because I just really love Truefitt and Hill. That is my go to aftershave.

pinuad clubman. holy **** does that stuff burn. but the scent is so awesome.

actually i've found that this crap works pretty well. it actually smells like a cross bewteen brut and skin bracer.

Skin Bracer and Aqua Velva are really the only AS's I use. I do have a custom blend bottle of AS from The Shave Den too that I like.

Clubman or Aqua Velva is used 85% of the time. The 7 year old grandson is a fan of Masters Bay Rum.

I've used aftershaves and colognes for over 20 years, from cheap to high-end, and I haven't found any that I like better than good old Old Spice.

The sting after the shave, the mellow yet robust smell, and the price and availability make it number one in my book.

I ask ye other brethren, who else here among us prefers the Old Spice/Aqua Velva/ drugstore scents versus the more expensive stuff?

I'm with you, Zach. There's nothing quite like Old Spice; it makes me feel warm and fuzzy. I am addicted to the scent, actually.

The problem with OS for me is it lingers on my skin and goes stale I dont know why it does this but...:confused:
I just got some green irish tweed samples by creed I like it

I have only purchased the drug store AS varieties:

AV Musk
AV Ice Blue
Pinaud Bay Rum
Old Spice

I just started using OS last week, and so far I like, as does my wife.

This morning I used AV Blue, and my wife said "MMM...nice and clean..."

as the ads used to say - "There's something about an Aqua Velva man..." :lol:

I jalso ust picked up some Booster's Oriental Spice - which is not exactly high end, but also not readily available in stores, and I must say it works really well... same price point as AV etc, so it should be in the drug store group too.

The 7 year old grandson is a fan of Masters Bay Rum.

Funny you mention this. Last night I took my four year old in the bathroom and had him smell all my AS. He really likes OS, Clubman, Santa Fe and Stetson but he turned up his nose at the Masters Bay Rum.

Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer, Barbasol Brisk. I also like Mennen Afta. I love the scent of Old Spice, but there's something about it that seems to irritate my face. I have the same problem with Pinaud Bay Rum.

I like Old Spice and Clubman----I wouldn't put them ABOVE Musgo Real though! But when $$$ is an object---and it IS with me----I only use the Musgo on special occasions. It does more for the healing/recovery/soothing of my skin than anything else I've tried---and smells great to boot, although I have to admit, I think it's an acquired smell-----different, but I like it a lot.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
have not found a single aftershave at store level that I would buy.

YMMV

It's nice to go with some Velva every now and again (can't wait to try The Green Monster) but generally I'll reach for the TOBS, Pinaud or Royall ...

I voted specialty most of the time.... AV is the most used of my DS splashes but I reach for more exotic ones,{ can't get it at my wal / k-mart }, more than 50% of the time. Ogallala would be my most used non drug store brand, still on the cheap side.

Some people in the drug store don't even know what Pinaud Clubman IS! You say it is after shave and they go, " Oh, isle 12 is where it all is. " Makes me want to break open a bottle, give myself a dousing or two, find that person and proceed to give them a lecture on customer service. With any luck it will trigger a memory and I will smell like their grand-papa...:ouch1:... they will have no choice but to stand still on the spot, listen attentively :blink:, and eagerly nod in agreement with whatever I say. :yesnod:

In the immortal words of Dr. Hannibal Lecter "that atrocious aftershave with the ship on the bottle...smells like something a child would select".

In the immortal words of Dr. Hannibal Lecter "that atrocious aftershave with the ship on the bottle...smells like something a child would select".

I love those movies. Hopkins is fantastic.

So what you are saying is, the most psychotic, deranged, and despicable serial killer ever portrayed on the big screen DOES NOT like old spice. Wow, that REALLY makes me want to run the other way from it and never use it again.

Because I do so admire Lecter's taste for the finer things in life... human liver, fava beans and Chianti anyone?

Hilarious.

Top Bottom