What's new

Just starting out.

So I've been lurking for a while. I've done a lot of WWII reenactments and seen the reenactors all using the shave brushes and double edge razors and always thought it was pretty cool and at least something I'd like to try. Then I found an article about wet shaving and that got me more interested in the practice. Around the same time my college began giving out free Schick Quattro razors. I tried shaving with them a few times but found the shave to be quite unsatisfactory. I couldn't clear away enough stubble with out the blades causing ingrown hairs so I figured I'd try something different. Today I plunged in and ordered a Gillette razor of ebay, a sampler pack from westcoastshaving.com, a handmade soap kit that included a bowl and Delong Boar Brush, and some jojoba and tea tree oils. Hoping it'll be here by the end of the week so I can try it out this weekend. Is there anything blatant I missed that I should get? I am a college student so the budgets always a little tight...

poorieuser, Welcome to B&B. Looks like you set yourself up nicely.

Having a styptic pencil can be handy when you are first starting up to quickly seal nicks & cuts. These ar every inexpensive and readily available at most drug stores.

I assume you are using the oils as aftershaves? You might consider picking up an inexpensive aftershave that will calm down any burn or ittitation you experience when you are first learning good technique. Again these can be had very cheaply at most drug stores. My favorite is Aqua Velva. First read up on the pros and cons of using alcohol based splashes.

Good luck on your first shave and welcome to B&B!

Welcome to B&B. The shaving supplies you purchaes will work just fine. Make sure you watch Mantics videos and practice, practice, practice.

Welcome to B&B. supplies sound fine. Everyone here is ready to answer any questions you may have. I have had spotty results from handmade soaps kits so remember Van Der Hagen Deluxe Shaving Soap. Cheap, usually around $1.75, and sold in WalMarts and Walgreens.

+ 1 on the stypic pencil (or "nick relief pen")...either one will work and just get whatever your local drugstore has.

Definitely get an aftershave from the drugstore too. I can't use anything with alcohol (burns my face in a bad way) in it so I'm using Nivea extra sensitive balm. In addition to the balm, before applying that I use Thayer's alcohol free witch hazel. I bought mine at GNC but many health food type stores have it or you can buy it direct or somewhere else online.

You didn't mention uncanned shaving cream. As a newbie, I found it much easier to lather with than shaving soap. This morning I used Kiss My Face in the pump bottle, lime scent. Good stuff and should run about $6-7 online or at a local health food store.

One more tip: if your razor has a black painted handle do not soak it in bleach water to sterilize. It will make the black paint come off. You can soak the head of the razor no problem though.

Re: the VDH soap, Bed Bath and Beyond carries a box that comes with a green ceramic soap bowl and a puck of VDH deluxe soap for $5. Can't comment on the soap itself b/c I haven't tried it yet. I really like L'Occitane shaving soap, but it's expensive @ $15 for a puck and $30 if you want the metal bowl with it.

Great shaving start, and welcome to the B&B! Which Civil War reenactments have you attended/participated?
I actually do WWII reenactments. Never been to a civil war reenactment other than to watch as a kid.
Welcome to B&B. The shaving supplies you purchaes will work just fine. Make sure you watch Mantics videos and practice, practice, practice.
I've watched most of this already. Now I just need to practice. Haha
poorieuser, Welcome to B&B. Looks like you set yourself up nicely.

Having a styptic pencil can be handy when you are first starting up to quickly seal nicks & cuts. These ar every inexpensive and readily available at most drug stores.

I assume you are using the oils as aftershaves? You might consider picking up an inexpensive aftershave that will calm down any burn or ittitation you experience when you are first learning good technique. Again these can be had very cheaply at most drug stores. My favorite is Aqua Velva. First read up on the pros and cons of using alcohol based splashes.

Good luck on your first shave and welcome to B&B!

The oils are mainly for a post shave simply because it helps keep acne under control. The tea tree oil is about the same effect wise as most acne fash washes but I'm allergic to them. I'll look into some other types though. Has anyone tried American Crew's post shave lotion? I'm quite partial to their scents just not their price haha.

Welcome aboard!

You might want to look into non-alcohol witch hazel as an after shave/pre-balm. Thayers is an excellent brand, can be found wherever Kiss My Face cream is sold as a rule.

...WWII shaving, don't you need a helmet liner to rinse the razor in? :biggrin:

some good advice so far. i'll suggest this. time. for your first shave just take it slow don't worry about getting a perfect shave that'll come in time. for the first few just focus on shaving technique.

Glad to see I'm not the only WWII Reenactor here. I portray British Army, Somerset Light Infantry of the 43rd Wessex Division. What do you portray? Reenacting got me into DE Blade shaving as well..LOL.
Cheers
Mark

Top Bottom