What's new

Tea Shop Review: New Mexico Tea Co.

Found myself in Albuquerque this weekend with some spare time and no spare tea. Managed to smuggle my Superspeed fully loaded past TSA but for some reason balked at the notion of a nickel sized bag of Tie Guan Yin. So decided to search for a local tea shop. I hit the jack pot!

New Mexico Tea Company is an understated ode to the love of everything tea. David Edwards is the chief tea wizard. His mom, Dianne, is co-owner and equal tea enthusiast, though cedes to David the finer points of tea preparation or Puer distinctions.

The selection is wide and beautifully displayed. He carries probably 20 different green teas, puers and oolongs. He also has some black 'blended' teas, Assams, lapsang souchong and a variety of tisanes.

His selection of tea-ware is outstanding and everything in good taste. Some gorgeous Tesubins, various tea pots, and Gaiwans. The one I purchased is pictured below. No Yixing vessels but David expects a new shipment in before Christmas.

A rather unique item that they make and sell is Fortune Tea. This is a flowering tea ball packaged in a immaculately crafted origami pyramid. Do I hear stocking stuffer?

I encourage everyone to check out the website at www.nmteaco.com He hosts a small blog there and has some fun and instructive tea videos. He also offered, after I told him about B&B, a discount:

I have created a promo code of "badger" which gives a discount of 10% on orders of $20 or more. It will last through Christmas till Dec. 31st Thank you for your positive feedback. I will be adding more things to the website in the coming weeks, like the gaiwans.

I enjoyed finding someone so genuinely excited about tea. Hope that all of you enjoy the site.

I had no idea there even was a specialty tea shop in the state of New Mexico. I figured that even if there was, it would be in Santa Fe. (If you live in New Mexico, you know why.) Thanks for the heads up!

Top Bottom