What's new

The Cafe.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
...... A lame name.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hurt that I didn't win the contest to rename the Brewhouse but come on the Cafe'

Really, that's what won, that's the best name? I mean Badger and Blade offers a little creativity in its name.

There were many, many, many great suggestions during the rename contest and we settled on the Cafe?

That's like naming your liquor store, "The Liquor Store" or calling your sporting goods store, "The Sporting Goods Store". Or how about starting a gas station and naming it "The Gas Station". I could go on and on like this.:lol:

Lame Duck, that's what I'd call it!

I'd humbly suggest an "é" (hold alt and type 0233 then let go of alt on windows)
Sure cafe(é) might not be as witty as Badger&Blade but it gets the point across and won't be mistaken for a beer forum.

yes, it is simple and effective in its message, but as I've stated before, the only reason I didn't list it was it had already been suggested...oh well
not everything has to be catchy and cool, because then everything is the same, and loses some of its edge...kinda like bunnies, with crepes

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
There's a very simple reason why the contest ended the way it did- it was fixed.

@SlagleRock - haha, no worries :tongue_sm I just suggested the name, I didn't pick.

In the end, not everyone was going to be happy. IMHO, "The Brewhouse" was a fantastic name, but is was confusing as it had a duel meaning. I was one of the (many?) members who dropped in the first day expecting to discuss barley, hops, and the pursuit of pint glasses.

That's like naming your liquor store, "The Liquor Store" or calling your sporting goods store, "The Sporting Goods Store". Or how about starting a gas station and naming it "The Gas Station".

This reminds me of one my favorite scenes from Repo Man, when (I think it was Otto) pulls the generic beer from the refrigerator.

Personally I think a liquor store named "The Liquor Store" would be really cool.

Being too clever or creative is a trap when thinking of names. You don't want something that stands out as really clever--you want something that sounds natural.

There's a very simple reason why the contest ended the way it did- it was fixed.

:lol::lol:

Seriously though - the reason it was picked was b/c it fit in line with the rest of the forum names.... "The SpeakEasy, The BarberShop, etc, etc" While there were some great names, we all felt "The Cafe'''''' " would best fit in line with the rest of the names - and above all wouldn't confuse any newcomers as to what the topic of the forum was. Some of the names/suggestions were outstanding - however among some unfamiliar with coffee/tea might not have made sense.

Can't please 'em all - but you might want to be a little more tactful in your show of disapproval in respect for differing opinions, etc. If it were your suggestion I don't think you'd appreciate it being called "lame."
:smile:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Actually, the name came from my suggestion originally. I wanted to call it "The Golden Calf", which would represent the only bovine good enough to provide the milk to match the wonderfull coffee and tea served by the frequenters of the Forum.

Unfortunately, that name was too long for the supporting software, so it had to be shortened to "The Calf".

How we finally arrived at the end-result name is a bit of a mystery to me, but these things tend to happen when Canadians make suggestions to Americans, eh.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Long knives?
Golden calves?

Geesh- tough day for the Jews today. Good thing we're used to it.
proxy.php

:lol::lol:

Seriously though - the reason it was picked was b/c it fit in line with the rest of the forum names.... "The SpeakEasy, The BarberShop, etc, etc" While there were some great names, we all felt "The Cafe'''''' " would best fit in line with the rest of the names - and above all wouldn't confuse any newcomers as to what the topic of the forum was. Some of the names/suggestions were outstanding - however among some unfamiliar with coffee/tea might not have made sense.

Can't please 'em all - but you might want to be a little more tactful in your show of disapproval in respect for differing opinions, etc. If it were your suggestion I don't think you'd appreciate it being called "lame."
:smile:

I understand the simplicity of it. I really didn't mean to offend.

I wouldn't mind if any of my ideas were called "lame". People's opinions never meant that much to me (outside of my family). Life is too short to get worked up over what other people think. I do see how it fits with "The SpeakEasy, The BarberShop, etc, etc" though.

I understand the simplicity of it. I really didn't mean to offend.

I wouldn't mind if any of my ideas were called "lame". People's opinions never meant that much to me (outside of my family). Life is too short to get worked up over what other people think. I do see how it fits with "The SpeakEasy, The BarberShop, etc, etc" though.

So you would agree that this entire thread is lame???:lol:

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom