What's new

7 0 clock blades - green vs yellow?

Does anyone know which are the "best"(in your opinion) gillette 7 0 clock blades? I've got yellow and green, but haven't tried either. Curious which ones are generally considered better.

Where's the least expensive place to get either? I hear that the yellow are a bit sharper/smoother, but have not tried either, and would love to hear a good place.

Regards.

J

Where's the least expensive place to get either? I hear that the yellow are a bit sharper/smoother, but have not tried either, and would love to hear a good place.

Regards.

J

I know of a mysteeerious place, a site that shall not be named....

But with a link on my shave blog.

There are two greens. The Permasharps, from India, and the Super Stainless from Russia. By all reports, the Indian greens are far superior to the Russian.

Check other sources.

Regards.

J

I've tried the yellows, great blade. Nearly as sharp as a Feather, and smooth. The other two, according to people who know more than I do, are in the middle of the pack, like a Derby or Crystal.

The least expensive place is in JimR's shave blog. The other source is in Florida. Both are banned from this site, and any reference to them is edited out. Do a search in Google on Gillette 7O'clock SharpEdge, and you will find more info.

I've got one of the yellows I must have picked up somewhere, but I guess at $26 for 100, they're still not all THAT expensive... but not cheap. Still a lot more than Derby or Dorco though.

I'll have to try it one of these days.

Regards.

J

I've tried the yellows, great blade. Nearly as sharp as a Feather, and smooth. The other two, according to people who know more than I do, are in the middle of the pack, like a Derby or Crystal.

The least expensive place is in JimR's shave blog. The other source is in Florida. Both are banned from this site, and any reference to them is edited out. Do a search in Google on Gillette 7O'clock SharpEdge, and you will find more info.

They're both linked.

I have used both and they are both good, but I prefer the yellow. The greens are a bit easier to come by though, I picked up 200 of them in Singapore for $30S, which is like $18US. Not a bad price and I'm glad I picked up more than enough to last me before I have to go back to Singapore.

I didn't like the greens, but a friend of mine did, so I gave them to him. Some people really like them, but they didn't do a lot for me.

the greens were sharp, but harsh. the coated yellows were much smoother. a big thumbs up. it's too bad they seem to be harder to find, because they really are terrific.

haven't tried the 7 o'clock black platinum from india or the indian greens either...

my experience:

Green Russian = smooth and sharp, but die bigtime right after 3 shaves
Yellow Russian = almost as smooth as Green Russian, but lasts 4-5 shaves.

the greens were sharp, but harsh. the coated yellows were much smoother. a big thumbs up. it's too bad they seem to be harder to find, because they really are terrific.

haven't tried the 7 o'clock black platinum from india or the indian greens either...

The shave den has the yellows...and other places, too...

There are two greens. The Permasharps, from India, and the Super Stainless from Russia. By all reports, the Indian greens are far superior to the Russian.

Check other sources.

I think that you may have this in reverse. It is my understanding that the ones from Russia are much sharper. My own personel experience confirms this.

There are only three blades, out of dozens that I have tried, that meet the grade.
7o'clock Russians, Feathers and Swedes.

I haven't tried the yellow coated ones so I can't be sure, however,
it has also been my understanding that the coating is for rust prevention only. It really shouldn't affect the shave.
It is entirely possible that I am out to lunch on this bit though :001_rolle

Wayne

Stainless steel blades don't need coating for rust resistance. The coatings are to fill in microscopic irregularities in the finished, honed edge, making for a more even edge finish and a smoother shave.

Works for me. I have tried sharper blades that are uncoated, like the Super Iridium, and won't try them again...
The only Russian Gillette blade I've tried is the 7o'clock yellow. It is sharp, like the Iridium, coated and smooth, unlike the Iridium.

Treet makes a carbon steel blade that is coated, the only one that I know of. The coating makes for a very smooth shave, and helps the blade resist rust like a stainless blade. I get 4-5 shaves with one.

my experience:

Green Russian = smooth and sharp, but die bigtime right after 3 shaves
Yellow Russian = almost as smooth as Green Russian, but lasts 4-5 shaves.

This is exactly my experience as well. I would add that the yellows are a bit sharper than the greens, but the greens are a better value, especially when bought in bulk Personally, I don't like either Indian variety as much as the Russians.

I use the Yellow Gillettes exclusivly, they give me the best shave. The difference between the green and the yellow ones is that the yellow ones are coated and feel smoother IMHO.

V

VR6ofpain

The Green blades are awesome. Jason (dridiot) is an awesome seller. No risk at all.

Top Bottom