Thread: Chicago

Default Chicago

So I'll be in Chicago bright and early tomorrow morning. I've got a few hours of time to waste by myself. Any suggestions whit regards to what I should do?

I've never been to Chicago before, so any insider tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.
    Dominic

It kinda depends on where in Chicago you'll be and how much time you have. Last summer I had a 4 hour layover at Union Station so I walked to the Sears Tower. If you have the time, maybe go to the lakefront to the Shedd Aquarium or Navy Pier. I plan on taking the kids up there before long and check out the Museum of Science and Industry. That place takes more than a few hours though, so it might not work well for you.

I figured I'd start killing time by checking out Truefitt and Hill and then walking down the Magnificent Mile to the river. Any other suggestions around that area?
    Dominic

I lived in Chicago for 20 years before moving to Milwaukee a few years ago.

It's hard to answer your question however. It all depends on what you're in to. It's a town full of world-class entertainment, culture, shopping and dining experiences. There's something for every taste.

What do you enjoy doing (legally)? I can narrow it down for you once I know.
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met.

-Mike-

smc cartage. north clark street.

its a patch of grass and a tree now i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishoot View Post
    I lived in Chicago for 20 years before moving to Milwaukee a few years ago.

It's hard to answer your question however. It all depends on what you're in to. It's a town full of world-class entertainment, culture, shopping and dining experiences. There's something for every taste.

What do you enjoy doing (legally)? I can narrow it down for you once I know.
    I'm not looking to buy anything, save a Speick shave stick or two and some DE blades. I do like to walk around areas that are scenic and have a lot of history. I will be carting my carry on luggage around most likely, so I won't want anywhere too difficult. Somewhere safe, nice to walk, good food (quick and cheap that I can grab and walk with), and somewere nice to sit (maybe a park or a nice little cafe or something) in which to read a book.

I don't want to be carrying around my luggage all day. Any suggestions? Is it safe to do so, or am I looking for trouble? Sorry if I'm insulting anyone - I just have no experience with Chicago and heard that there are some bad areas.

Thanks so much.
    Dominic

Also, Mike, I'm just looking for things to occupy me during the day until about 4 PM, so I'm not really looking for nightlife.
    Dominic

Quote Originally Posted by D.Irving79 View Post
    smc cartage. north clark street.

its a patch of grass and a tree now i think.
    The site of the St. Valentine's Day Massacre? That's a bit grim.
    Dominic

Say hi to Oprah
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
    Say hi to Oprah
    Haha.

It looks like tomorrow is going to be a little chilly in Chicago. Not too bad, but any suggestions for indoor activities? Museums, aquariums, etc.? Is the aquarium any good or is it a really tiny one?
    Dominic

Quote Originally Posted by burningdarkness View Post
    So I'll be in Chicago bright and early tomorrow morning. I've got a few hours of time to waste by myself. Any suggestions whit regards to what I should do?
    Vote!
    Then do it again, and then again.... it's fun :)

Quote Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
    Say hi to Oprah
    My wife is going to Chicago next week. I know somebody that works for Oprah and was able to get her some tickets.

I have her say hi for you all.
    -Kyle

Images

The aquarium is very cool, as is the Field Museum. My favorite thing I've done in that lakeshore area was actually a skyline tour via boat. It's a great way to get a very scenic view of downtown, along with some nice stories and history. I recall it being rather inexpensive (for tourist stuff in that area at least) and it didn't take too long. I think they pick up and drop off from navy pier as well as the pier by the aquarium, and you can do it as a boat cab to get between the two locations or just do a round trip.

Quote Originally Posted by burningdarkness View Post
    The site of the St. Valentine's Day Massacre? That's a bit grim.

yeah true. id wanna go see it though

The Field Musuem and the Museum of Science and Industry are two of the coolest musuems I've been to. I haven't been to Navy Pier in a while, but I've heard it hasn't been as good as it used to be. Millenium park is pretty cool, you can see the shiny bean and a pretty cool bridge.
    Will
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in that grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.-Teddy Roosevelt