What's new

Safety Razor Of the Week, 10/26 – 11/01 The Crescent Razor

The Crescent Razor

proxy.php

This week I would like to take a look at and discuss the Crescent Razor made by the Southington Cutlery Company. The company was located in Southington Connecticut
(107--143 Center St. and 95--125 S. Center St.) from 1871 to 1906.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The company made only two sets, the Pocket Edition and the Deluxe Set.
I am not aware of any others. As you can see this razor was made to hold a thick single edge that was indicative of the period.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

I do not have one of these razors but I wish I did. Many folks talk about their “Holy Grail”, well folks this is mine. After all, I am from Southington myself. I have only seen one in person and only one that sold on the bay. I missed that one at the last second and have not seen one again.

If anyone has any info, one for sale or where I might be able to find one, please let me know.

Any and all information about this razor is more than welcomed.

Back to Safety Razor of the Week.

Very interesting, Ray. I had never seen or even heard of this razor.

The blade, handle and the stropping extension look almost like a Kampfe Bros. Star or a Gem of that period. The stropping machine also looks very much like a Gem. The razor head itself, however, appears to be completely unique. I can't quite tell just how the blade is secured, but the head is certainly quite different from those big lather catcher razors by Star and Gem. I'd be interested if there are more pictures available showing other views of the head and how the blade is attached.

I'll be rather surprised if anyone here can add anything to what you already have in pictures or other information, but I hope they can.

Good luck on the persuit of your tonsorial Holy Grail. :001_smile

Regards,
Tom

Thanks Tom, I have been trying to get to town hall and our tiny Historical Society to see if they have any more info but they are never open when I am not at work....

Interestingly enough, the one I lost on the bay was being sold by a gentleman who had purchased it from a fellow right here in Southington.

Sooner or later, I'll turn one up...I just hope it's sooner.

It is very nice looking. I do not know anything about these types of razors. Other then they look nice.

Fuzzy

Tom, Yes I have seen the one in Joe & Betty's collection.
I should talk to Arik (cutting_edge) as I think he might know Joe.

a town razor is truly a holy grail. i was lucky enough to obtain a straight razor that was produced in my town at the turn of the century.

thats a quirky razor set. a wedge blade razor with a hoe style head? you dont see that everyday.

I do have that info... I forgot to put it in the post.

You've done such a fine job finding pictures and info....How about finding me a razor?...:frown:.....:biggrin:

Last edited:
Wow, must say that is a complicated looking razor. Might need a degree to use it. Very cool set. Good luck!

Wow, must say that is a complicated looking razor. Might need a degree to use it. Very cool set. Good luck!

Rodd, I believe what makes the set in the pictures look complicated is the strop, the stropper and it's handle being in the box. The razor would only involve the razor as it sits in the box with the one handle extension and the wedge blade installed. The set in Ray's original picture shows the extension already on the razor, whereas in Guido's picture, the extension is stored alongside the razor.

The question in my mind is, how is the blade secured in/on the head of the razor. Even though, between Ray's and Guido's pictures, we can see several views, the one view we don't see is one looking at the front of the head. If we had this view, we would see the blade mounting method and be able to better understand just how it all fits together.

I know how the wedge blades were held in place on various Gem's and Kampfe Bros. Star's, but this is a completely different looking head and I'm just curious about how that blade was secured. :001_huh:

Regards,
Tom

Rodd, I believe what makes the set in the pictures look complicated is the strop, the stropper and it's handle being in the box. The razor would only involve the razor as it sits in the box with the one handle extension and the wedge blade installed. The set in Ray's original picture shows the extension already on the razor, whereas in Guido's picture, the extension is stored alongside the razor.

The question in my mind is, how is the blade secured in/on the head of the razor. Even though, between Ray's and Guido's pictures, we can see several views, the one view we don't see is one looking at the front of the head. If we had this view, we would see the blade mounting method and be able to better understand just how it all fits together.

I know how the wedge blades were held in place on various Gem's and Kampfe Bros. Star's, but this is a completely different looking head and I'm just curious about how that blade was secured. :001_huh:

Regards,
Tom

Tom,

Note the hole in the wedge blade. Do you think it might be possible that the hole is machined and the handle actually screws directly into the blade itself? The blade holder is very thin so I think that this may very well be how it works.

Tom,

Note the hole in the wedge blade. Do you think it might be possible that the hole is machined and the handle actually screws directly into the blade itself? The blade holder is very thin so I think that this may very well be how it works.

Guido, since you call it to my attention, even though I can't discern the threads in the picture, I suspect you are right. I don't know why I hadn't paid any attention to the hole in the blade before. The only thing that bothers me about your theory is that, in the pictures of the sets, the handle seems to be attached to the razors, while the blades still seem to be in the case. It may be, however, that these were just additional blades.

Well, I suspect that mystery is probably solved. I just have to learn to be a little more observant.:blush: (But I'd still like to see that front view.) :001_rolle

Thanks,
Tom

Top Bottom