What's new

Tea Shop etiquette?

I am lucky enough to have a tea vendor/shop near my home.

I stopped in to see whats available and ended up having a great time. I was told by the shopkeep that I was the first non-Asian to ask about puer tea since they have been in business, she was very surprised. Anyway, on to my question.

How many different teas is it Ok to have them brew up and sample?

I tried 3 and was feeling like I was imposing after a while, am I just not used to great customer service? I did spend some good money so I am OK with that part, I was also invited back to a "gathering" with some other folks that happens on a monthly basis.

Thanks for any insight.

I've found the meat life tea world akin to the shaving world at Badger & Blade. If you're interested in tea and wanting to talk about it people are generally keen for you to try their tea gratis. I usually purchase a tea to drink in the shop and end up trying a few others, I then don't feel I'm obliged to buy anything if I don't want to and I've had a decent tea fix.Turning up with small tea samples never hurts either.

I would say that you did all right. If you were getting out of bounds then it would be up to to the shop owner to cut you off. I have been in similar sampling situations (cheese shop, coffee house, deli) where I was actively encouraged to taste all I want. That's what sells the product.

I would say that you did all right. If you were getting out of bounds then it would be up to to the shop owner to cut you off. I have been in similar sampling situations (cheese shop, coffee house, deli) where I was actively encouraged to taste all I want. That's what sells the product.

I agree with this - its one thing to ask for a bunch of samples/tastings if you're not going to buy anything, its a totally different situation if its the shopkeeper offering - at which point its up to them.

A savvy shopkeeper knows that giving some samples/tastings will make you buy something from them - either at the time or down the road.

I know that sampling lots of teas has both prevented me from buying tea that I didn't like and spending way more on something I've really liked, but would have never bought blind.

My top local is like this. I get the feeling they're disappointed if I don't hang around longer - after having been there an hour! The other place is just a store in comparison.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Old Cermudgeon though you may be, I think that leaving with an invite to the Gathering is a good sign.

IMHO, a given number of steeping-samples is not going to be a hard-and-fast rule. It's more a customer-by-customer thing. If I show up at that shop and basically am looking to score some free samples to cure my caffeine jonesing for free, I'm out of line trying to get samples. If, however, you show up with a genuine interest in the different types and need a few sips to make a decision, and spend some time, interest and money there (the time and interest being more important!) don't feel bad if they keep the tea a-pouring.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Having read all of these thoughtful posts, I can only conclude that it was wrong of me to walk out with that huge tin of oolong under my coat. :frown:

Top Bottom