What's new

Which of these sunglasses do you like better?

I have wanted a really good pair of all purpose daily sunglasses to wear. I really like the Ray-Ban Predator 4037 glasses. I can't decided if I want the Black/ Black lenses model or the tortoise/ brown ones. What do you guys think? I have a narrow face if that helps. I'm going for the casual-yet-classy(or stylish) look, if that is an actual look. Also tell me if you just don't like either of them.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The blacks come inglossy or matte finish:

proxy.php

proxy.php

The black is a little more predatory, if your going for that guy out looking for something look. The tortise is a little more reserved and classy.

Just depends if your the guy at the bar shooting whiskey, or sitting in the corner sipping scotch.

Then again I'm prejudiced because I love tortise shell.

Tortoise for sure. As for polarization, be careful. If you're in an environment where you may need to look at lcd screens, they can be difficult to impossible to read.

As an air traffic controller, I'm not allowed to use them at work. Naturally, I tried on a pair and had a look at the different equipment in the tower cab. Sure enough, the polarization interfered with some of the screens.

Mike

A vote for the tortoise shell here as well.

Although I have to throw in a recommendation for Maui Jim sunglasses. These are the lightest weight glass-lens sunglasses that I've ever owned. (They're all polarized but in most circumstances that's a plus.)

Three months ago I was looking to replace my 12 year old Ray-Bans. A friend of mine (an optometrist) indicated that Maui Jims and Oakley's are at the top of the class performance/protection wise. He also indicated that so many folks buy Ray-Bans on name recognition that the company puts comparatively little $$ into R&D anymore. The Ray-Bans you buy today are nearly identical to those produced a decade ago.

Food for thought...

I am not really into sunwear for the look (I am old). That being said, my number 1 sunglasses for quite a few years were also Maui Jim's. Particularly the Kahuna line. The glare reduction, polarization, and overall quality were, IMO, the best out there.

About a year ago I was in a local Vision Associates getting an eye exam, when I noticed a case of Bayz sunglasses. There was an informational pamphlet next to the case, so I read it while I was waiting. I was intrigued! After trying on a few pairs, including both gray and amber lenses, I bought a pair in gray and a pair in amber.

The prices are reasonable for a high end sunglass ($169), considering I paid almost $250 for a pair of Maui Jims. Check out the website and read the information provided on the technology and design that went into the making of these sunglasses. If you live in the MD area, check out a retailer on the "where to buy" section of the site. Do your eyes a big favor, and get a pair (or two) of Bayz.

http://bayz.com/index.html

I prefer tortoise shell. My current "good" sunglasses are Persol 2720, tortoise shell with grey-green lenses. I highly recommend them, found them at one of the local Sunglass Hut stores.

Another vote for Maui Jim's. I have hardly taken off my Kapalua's since I bought them 4 years ago. Their customer service is also incredible as well. When I was on vacation the nosepiece mysteriously broke, but I sent them off and got 'em right back, free of charge.

I haven't really ever been impressed by Ray-Bans. Still, though, there's a lot to be said for price. It's also tough to tell what sunglasses will work for you given your facial structure. If I had to pick I'd side with the rest of these fellas and say tortoise shell.

I'll be the dissenting voice... I can't stand looking at a brown-tinted world so it would have to be the black/grey ones for me...

for be it woulrd be a simple choice - whatever matches with black/green glasses. I've tried both brown and gray tints in photosensitive regular glasses, and nothing beats green-black g15 tint for driving.

Got a pair ray-bans quite similiar to those, dunno the exact model since they're in my car, but black bars + dark red/blackish translucent frames and g15 glasses. Dunno what to say about quality, they're just fine, but my eschenbach's that i use otherwise are just in another league. (german overengieneering, and costs more than my raybans before adding the glasses. one of them even got a solid piece of titanium straight through the plastic bars, and can be bent in scary angles without breaking.)

I have the Predator IIs in black -- I've had them for about 7 or 8 years. Great sunglasses. They look good on me -- I have a narrow face also.

Recently I picked up a set of Serengeti Augustos for driving.
proxy.php

WAY better technology than the RayBans and half the price of the Maui Jim Kahunas I was looking at also.
The Ray Bans look better, but don't perform as well as newer tech sunglasses.

The black ones will go with everything and look classy also -- you need to have a certain look and style to pull off brown/tortoise.

Top Bottom