What's new

Smiling Edge Razor

Hello everyone

Based only on my internet searches I have found not one shred of information
on a straight razor with a "smiling edge." However, I have read in some forums here of people mentioning it once or twice. Would anyone know where (no matter where in the WHOLE world) I might find a smiling edge razor?
Thanks!

welcome to b&b!

smiles (or the opposite, frowns) are the result of uneven honing on a blade, to make there be less of it at either end. (i made a quick and dirty pic to display, which is wildly exagerated)

if youre really after a smiling blade keep your eye on the bst, but generally its not desirable (though far more usable than a frown)

Look for an older razor, they are usually smiling. But why would you want one? A smiling razor is one where the edge is curved slightly (depending on how much of a smile) towards the spine of the blade... just in case you had the wrong idea about what it was....

:biggrin:

Beaten to the punch

Hey Thanks! Funny thing I never would have guessed a smiling balde is the result of bad honing. I had seen old pics of blades forged with a smile edge, but the spine was curved along as well. But thanks a whole bunch for the pics! Very informative. Thanks!

Hey Bacchus thanks you as well. I figured the smiling edge must have been an old style.
I wanted one after a friend of mine showed me an old (VERY old) razor his father found among old family junk. The razor was rusted and beyond saving, but the contour of the curve felt right especially around the neck area. Still, It isn't something I absolutely need. Just curious. But thanks anyway!

welcome to b&b!

smiles (or the opposite, frowns) are the result of uneven honing on a blade, to make there be less of it at either end. (i made a quick and dirty pic to display, which is wildly exagerated)

if youre really after a smiling blade keep your eye on the bst, but generally its not desirable (though far more usable than a frown)

I beg to differ but I don't believe that is necessarily true. I have and have seen far too many vintage razors with little hone wear and a symmetrical smile. If a smile was caused by uneven honing, one would expect to see substantial hone wear and an asymmetrical smile. Additionally, a smile adds a scything aspect, perhaps facilitating the cut.

I beg to differ but I don't believe that is necessarily true. I have and have seen far too many vintage razors with little hone wear and a symmetrical smile. If a smile was caused by uneven honing, one would expect to see substantial hone wear and an asymmetrical smile. Additionally, a smile adds a scything aspect, perhaps facilitating the cut.

Hi Professorchaos
I was most interested to see in your Kit a shaving soap called "Spanish Fig & Nutmeg." May I ask who makes this soap?

There are many vintage blades (Wade & Butchers for one) that are stock with smiling edges. This is NOT due to bad honing and is preferable to a straight edge in my opinion. There are many other razors that were sold new with curved (smiling) edges.

Which is not to say there arent smiling edges out there that are due to lousy honing.

There are many vintage blades (Wade & Butchers for one) that are stock with smiling edges. This is NOT due to bad honing and is preferable to a straight edge in my opinion. There are many other razors that were sold new with curved (smiling) edges.

Which is not to say there arent smiling edges out there that are due to lousy honing.

i guess i was wrong :blushing:

ive only noticed the ones with bad honing, ill keep my eyes out for the stock ones.

Hello everyone

on a straight razor with a "smiling edge." However, I have read in some forums here of people mentioning it once or twice. Would anyone know where (no matter where in the WHOLE world) I might find a smiling edge razor?
Thanks!

I'm not sure off hand where you'd find one, but the most pronounced "smile" I've ever seen on a razor is on my Le Coultre frameback. The Wade and Butcher "Barber's Use" has a markedly rounded point but it's edge doesn't curve through it's whole length in the same way the Le Coultre's does. Both those razors are easy to sharpen and maintain; either would serve you admirably.

Best Regards

Graham

Hey Thanks! Funny thing I never would have guessed a smiling balde is the result of bad honing. I had seen old pics of blades forged with a smile edge, but the spine was curved along as well. But thanks a whole bunch for the pics! Very informative. Thanks!

You're confusing a smiling edge with a swept blade - which is quite intentional (see pic of one of mine) and in this case quite a handful! (And yes I do use it a lot!)

I don't know why it is such a misconception that smiling blades are undesirable. Obviously each razor is different and some indeed do have massive hone wear that curves the edge while the spine is straight. That is usually a poorly worn blade.

On the other hand if a blade has a curve to the edge (no matter how big) to match the spine- it is supposed to be that way in most cases. I usually do refer to them as "smiling blades" rather than "swept backs" but either is fine in my opinion. When talking about them, most people seem to know what I mean. Posted below are some examples of blades MADE that way. I prefer them to shave with as do many people.

Don't forget #13 Fili, smiling from the factory.

Hard to see in the photo, but definitely my favorite razor, the #13... Here's a pic from Classic Shaving.

proxy.php

Philadelph - is that second razor scaled with jade? It's gorgeous but if it is jade it must be very fragile, I'd be bound to drop the thing..

Hello everyone

Thanks!
Just found one in an antique shop today, it's a 4/8's in great condition. Needs some restoration of course but the blade is in great condition. and considering it was made in early or pre 1900's I am quite happy with it.

SCORE! Got an old Wade & Butcher 8/8 WITH a smiling edge! Blade needs some cleaning, probably Flitz would do, and I will most likely have new scales made. But a great find! Thanks for all the suggestions!

Top Bottom