What's new

Suggestions for aftershave balm for sensitive skin?

Needs to be:

Free of lanolin and other animal products

Have little or preferably no alcohol

Not too expensive (preferably nothing over $15 or so)

I'm currently using Nivea Extra Soothing and that works okay. I also have a bottle of Cornhuskers lotion that I've not tried yet.

i don't think cornhuskers is for you.

if i were in your shoes i would go with the proraso asb!

EDT. also the la toja asb is incredibly nice!!

I'm new to the forum, but certainly not to shaving.

Try making your own. I use a mix of 70% Witch Hazel (cheap stuff) and 30% pure Aloe Gel. Sometimes I'll add a little Calendula too. Just mix it in a bottle and slather on your face anytime. It's inexpensive and lasts for a long time. Not to mention it makes sensitive skin feel great.

I use Clinique Post-Shave Healer. It does have some alcohol in it, but it doesn't seem to dry my skin at all and it feels great.

Or, try witch hazel and then use a moisturizer. The witch hazel will help soothe irritation and razor burn and the moisturizer will--well--moisturize. I use Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion to moisturize.

Needs to be:

Free of lanolin and other animal products

Have little or preferably no alcohol

Not too expensive (preferably nothing over $15 or so)

I'm currently using Nivea Extra Soothing and that works okay. I also have a bottle of Cornhuskers lotion that I've not tried yet.

CVAC,
When you say 'sensitive' is your skin also dry?
Sue

I've had good results with:

1. Nivea Sensitive
2. Proraso aftershave balm
3. Thayers Witch Hazel (10% alcohol and they have alcohol-free versions, too). I LOVE Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel, available at Whole Foods for ~$9 for a big bottle.

Dave

I wouldn't call my skin "dry" per se. If anything, my skin is slightly oily. I use an anti-acne treatment (to control breakouts on my forehead and nose) that contains benzoyl peroxide which can sometimes be drying but I try to combat that with a gentle glycerin based moisturizer. I don't want to put anything on my face that will have a stinging sensation or anything that might potentially cause breakouts.

Right now I'm using the Thayer's non-alcohol Rose Scent and Nivea "sensitive" extra soothing balm.

CVAC,
When you say 'sensitive' is your skin also dry?
Sue

CVAC,

Well, you're using the stuff I'd recommend. What about your current regimen isn't working for you? What are the symptoms?

Dave

I'm new to wet shaving and just wondered if there is anything out there I should try that I might like better than the Nivea and such.

One thing that I don't like about the Nivea as of late is that it has been giving me a slight burning sensation and some redness after some shaves, but that could be due to me just learning how to do a wet shave. Not sure.

Regardless, I'm just kind of curious about what's out there....

I'm new to wet shaving and just wondered if there is anything out there I should try that I might like better than the Nivea and such.

One thing that I don't like about the Nivea as of late is that it has been giving me a slight burning sensation and some redness after some shaves, but that could be due to me just learning how to do a wet shave. Not sure.

Regardless, I'm just kind of curious about what's out there....

I have a similar issue with balms, typically when I apply balms I experience a subtle sting (due to added fragrances, I think) causing a slight irritation that looks like razor burn. The redness goes away after an hour or two. If I forgo the ASB then I don't get the redness, but my face feels drier and not as healthy. I have experienced this problem with Nivea, Nuetragena, Gillette, and Aqua Velva balms.

I recently received a sample of the The Gentleman's Refinery Unscented aftershave balm. Holy moly, this is some nice stuff. Amazing gentle, makes my face feel great with no irritation (what-so-ever), and isn't remotely tacky. I never tried this product because of the high price point, eventhough it is highly regarded, but as my sample dwindles I am starting to get nervous and am seriously considering ponying up the $40 for a bottle.

I recently made a custom A/S for a co-worker/friend of my son. A wet-shaver; he has extraordinairly dry and sensitive skin due to chemotherapy. I wonder if there is a need for this type of aftershave to warrant making it available to others. (He is using it along with our unfragranced shave cream).
Sue

It ain't a balm but I find Harris pink to be pretty moisturizing and very gentle. Maybe use the Harris Pink splash and then follow up with a moisturizer/spf combo? That's whay I do in the cold winter months. I also get decent results from the Nivea balm.

It ain't a balm but I find Harris pink to be pretty moisturizing and very gentle. Maybe use the Harris Pink splash and then follow up with a moisturizer/spf combo? That's whay I do in the cold winter months. I also get decent results from the Nivea balm.

Harris Pink is a very nice aftershave. I have very sensitive skin, and it is indeed very gentle. I have to say that for me, it works well in the summer but not so much in the winter. I've personally realized that I just can't tolerate anything with alcohol in the winter. Obviously, YMMV.

I, for one, might be interested. One other thing you might consider is making a non-comedogenic aftershave balm. Unfortunately it seems many men's shaving products use large amounts of coconut oil, which can clog pores. I'm trying to avoid products with a lot of coconut oil from now on.

I recently made a custom A/S for a co-worker/friend of my son. A wet-shaver; he has extraordinairly dry and sensitive skin due to chemotherapy. I wonder if there is a need for this type of aftershave to warrant making it available to others. (He is using it along with our unfragranced shave cream).
Sue

Sue

I think there would be a market for an unscented balm and/or milk for people with sensitive skin. Right now it seems the best option is the Gentlemen's refinery, which is very expensive.

Edit: Obviously there are also drug store brands such as Nivea, and Art of Shaving unscented, which I don't count because I hated it when I tried it a few years ago.

Top Bottom