What's new

Walmart

So I went to Walmart for a couple of things and I strolled down the Cologne Isle and I saw a 400 mL bottle of Maurer & Wirtz Old No. 4711 for $16 and change. I haven't noticed them carrying it before.
Then I made a real score. In the dish department they had a number of suitable lather bowls on display, ranging from $2.25 to $4.99. Some where called soup bowls, some ramekins, others appetizer bowls. Some were clay others were Correll, some were enamel. I settled on the one below. Nice and roomy to whip up a lather; heavy material to hold the temperature nicely, super nice handle, for the low price of $2.25. The Fatboy is there for perspective.
I've been toying with plopping down $20 for a Col Conk Apothecary mug. I'm glad I ran across this. I like it better than the Apothecary mug and it was way cheaper. What's Walmart's new slogan? Come buy stuff here and live better?

So I went to Walmart for a couple of things and I strolled down the Cologne Isle and I saw a 400 mL bottle of Maurer & Wirtz Old No. 4711 for $16 and change. I haven't noticed them carrying it before.
Then I made a real score. In the dish department they had a number of suitable lather bowls on display, ranging from $2.25 to $4.99. Some where called soup bowls, some ramekins, others appetizer bowls. Some were clay others were Correll, some were enamel. I settled on the one below. Nice and roomy to whip up a lather; heavy material to hold the temperature nicely, super nice handle, for the low price of $2.25. The Fatboy is there for perspective.
I've been toying with plopping down $20 for a Col Conk Apothecary mug. I'm glad I ran across this. I like it better than the Apothecary mug and it was way cheaper. What's Walmart's new slogan? Come buy stuff here and live better?

So is that something completely different from Tabac or the same fragrance rebranded w/ the company name? I've never heard of it, but am highly interested to hear this news. A little trip to Wally World might be in order.

I almost bought one of those a while back too!

But then I thought about dropping it and moved on to the plastic Ziploc bowls :lol:

So is that something completely different from Tabac or the same fragrance rebranded w/ the company name? I've never heard of it, but am highly interested to hear this news. A little trip to Wally World might be in order.
Oh no, 4711 predates Tabac. I believe it was the first smelly goods invented. The story goes, it was created in Cologne, Germany, giving rise to Eau de Cologne or just cologne. The number was an address or something.
It smells a lot better than Tabac :tongue:

Thanks for the heads up on the 4711. Impressive. As for perspective, that Fatboy looks more like a slim to me for some reason. Could be the camera angle.
You may have a sharp eye there Gruder and I may in fact not know what I have. So, if nobody minds me hijacking the thread for a moment...Is it a Fatboy or a Slim, or a Fatboy Slim?
So here's what I think I have, Left to Right:
NEW, NEW (but maybe a ladies? It's kind of Slim, Aristocrat, Fatboy, Slant, Tech

Is it a Fatboy or a Slim, or a Fatboy Slim?

My "Weapon of Choice" is my 59 Fatboy, kinda like "That Old Pair of Jeans". When I start shaving, I listen for that "Champion Sound", "Praise You", and have a "Wonderful Night."

When I get a bad shave and start "Going Out Of My Head" I have to remind myself, "Don't Let The Man Get You Down."

I think I've got too much time on my hands.....:w00t:

You may have a sharp eye there Gruder and I may in fact not know what I have. So, if nobody minds me hijacking the thread for a moment...Is it a Fatboy or a Slim, or a Fatboy Slim?
So here's what I think I have, Left to Right:
NEW, NEW (but maybe a ladies? It's kind of Slim, Aristocrat, Fatboy, Slant, Tech

Yeah, I do think that's a slim. In order based on your picture:

1) Old style
2) Tech
3) Aristocrat
4) Slim
5) Slant
6) Tech

That's a nice collection you have there!

Walmart is among the most aggressively anti-union companies in the world, so it sucks to support them. But their stuff is just so damn cheap.

The Bowl is great for Lathering. That bowl is what I use for lather Every Day. I am Looking for the same kind of soup bowl in a different color
so lather visibility would be easier.

Thanks for clarifying what I have. I bought that Slim and another on ebay. I gave the other to a friend of mine. They were both sold as Fatboys. But I've seen Techs and Superspeeds called Fatboys on ebay.

Thanks for clarifying what I have. I bought that Slim and another on ebay. I gave the other to a friend of mine. They were both sold as Fatboys. But I've seen Techs and Superspeeds called Fatboys on ebay.

Happy to help. Sorry you were duped by ebay sellers -- some of the folks who are listing razors left and right as fatboys should know better. FWIW, I think the slim shaves just as well.

Oh eBay. Wal Mart definitely can be DE/wet shaver friendly. You can get some Personnas, which work pretty good for me, and the VDH soap under two bucks. And now the 4711. I think I'll be going to the Mart after work.

I was also able to pick up two bowls, one larger than the other, so one can hold hot water and the other sits on top for lathering. Also both under two bucks.

But I did have to walk through seas of crap - and people - to get to all of this.

Top Bottom