What's new

Finest Malt Liquor

In all seriousness, can someone give me the run down on what the difference is between malt liquor (Mickey's, Colt, Olde English, etc...not the "malternatives.") and beer?

They didn't sell Mickey's in the area when I was in school. I had to settle for Hurricane, or occasionally the OE. Wouldn't touch Steel Reserve. Always wished they would have sold Mickeys.

Little King's Cream Ale was a staple in my early days. No 40 ouncers, just the 7 oz. bottles, mini-cans, and kegs back then. Those were the same days when Michelob Dark and St. Pauli Girl (still have a poster from the mid-80's :biggrin:) were considered exotic in my circles. Can't tolerate any of those three anymore.

+1 on the Little King's in the pony bottles.

Same here. Though I can still struggle through a Dark St. Pauli on occasion.

Mickey's, Hoffenreffer and Midnight Dragon were the big three. Anyone remember the ploy in the early 90's for mentholated beverages? Nothing like a Menthol Bull to destroy your taste buds. But who can forget cheap wines for a good drunk. A little Mad Dog, Thunderbird or Cisco and it was like instant party. Even to this day I don't think I would be able to smell Orange Jubilee without getting sick.

In all seriousness, can someone give me the run down on what the difference is between malt liquor (Mickey's, Colt, Olde English, etc...not the "malternatives.") and beer?

If I'm not mistaken the difference is in the alcohol content being higher than a normal beer. Other than that it's beer , when I vistited Montreal many moons ago I tried a bunch of different beers with high alcohol content. That tasted a whole lot better than high alcohol American beers/ malt liquors. So I'm guessing in the interest of keeping the lights on the American malt liquor manufacturers cut corners, be it with adjuncts i.e. corn, sugar, or whatever or they do something different in the brewing process.

Boone's farm is the best! I went to a NASCAR race two weekends ago in Charlotte, and we camped out. When we stopped at the wal-mart there to buy our beer, we saw 6 different flavors of Boone's farm on the shelf. Needless to say, we bought two of each flavor. Everyone around us in the campsite thought we were nuts for drinking that rotgut, but it turned out to be a great conversation starter! And yes, I did regret chugging that stuff the next morning!

proxy.php

mickey's is pretty good,almost has a cream ale taste.country club/c c 900 were pretty good,i believe they were pearl brewings entry in the ml market.the rest that i have tried were pretty awful.any one recall hoppin gator?it was basically a ml -gatorade hybrid.never drank any,i was too young.i remember seeing a few in the can piles i would find in the woods.

Flush twice. It's a long way to the Mickey's brewery. When it gets there, they add a squirt of tuna fish juice into each bottle, and voila!

One in particular I remember getting completed hammered to (and wasn't all that bad either) was Crazy Horse ML. Do they still make it? I don't believe I've ever used the word "fine" to describe any ML I've had, however, there were some that were better than others.

Oh, it is indeed still made. Crazy House holds a special place for me. In more than 500 beer reviews, I have yet to have anything that comes close to Crazy Horse's level of bad.

Finest + Malt Liquor = Oxymoron :tongue_sm

"Finest malt liquor." Isn't that an oxymoron?

"Finest Malt Liquor"= no such thing.

My thoughts exactly.
That being said, with malt liquor I never steered far from Schlitz Silver Bull!
Me and Billy Dee!

Billy Dee advertised for Colt 45. In Living Color did a parody of him 'getting' the girl(after she passed out from the Colt 45) and staing "Works Every Time".

I drank them all: Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull(blue can), Olde English 500, Mickey's, Colt 45, and Coqui 900(until they pulled it off the market). My favorite was 'The Bull'(and a good time was had by all!)

marty

Top Bottom