What's new

Tobacco users - seen these?

I recently came across these little devices. Essentially, they are round plastic cases, containing a small amount of the same absorbent material used by flower arrangers. You dampen them with a little distilled water and pop them in your pouch or tobacco jar to keep everything moist. Excellent!

Great Idea!

I have also heard of people using Humi-care Humidification Pillows. I quit using the floral foam in my cigar humidors and strictly use beads now. I think I'll put the foam that you have pictured in my pipe tobacco jars.

Thanks!

DL

I could be wrong, but while cigars enjoy 60-70% relative humidity, which these humidifiers maintain, shouldn't pipe tobacco be kept around 40-50% RH?

I bow to your superior knowledge on that! I don't actually smoke cigars or pipe tobacco, only aromatic hand-rolling tobacco (Auld Kendal varieties). All I know is, since using one of these in my pouch, or my jar, my tobacco tends to stay nice and moist instead of drying out.

A

This is way out there, but I just took notice of your screen name and avatar. I happened upon "Velvet Goldmine" with Ewan McGregor, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, and Christian Bale a few weeks ago in my Netflix queue.

It was quite a movie to say the least! Very gritty and psychodelic...

I use these Atmos Clay "thingies" in my pouch. They work great.

proxy.php

I've not actually seen that film! What is Netflix?

A

No kidding? I think the main characters were based off of David Bowie and Iggy Pop. I took a closer look at your picture and realized, "That's not a screenshot!" :lol:

Netflix is a mail order DVD service here in the States. For a monthly fee, you create a movie queue, which you can prioritize and manage online. Depending on your level of subscription (I'm on a 4 at a time plan), they ship you anywhere from 1 to 8 DVDs in the mail in a pre-paid return envelope. When you're done with the DVD, you seal it back up and mail it back. Once they recieve it, they send the next one from your queue. Really a great service.

www.netflix.com

No kidding? I think the main characters were based off of David Bowie and Iggy Pop. I took a closer look at your picture and realized, "That's not a screenshot!" :lol:

Netflix is a mail order DVD service here in the States. For a monthly fee, you create a movie queue, which you can prioritize and manage online. Depending on your level of subscription (I'm on a 4 at a time plan), they ship you anywhere from 1 to 8 DVDs in the mail in a pre-paid return envelope. When you're done with the DVD, you seal it back up and mail it back. Once they recieve it, they send the next one from your queue. Really a great service.

www.netflix.com

Ah yes! We have a similar service here in the UK, though I can't remember it's name. I don't actually own a TV. Though colleagues of mine regularly use the service, and say it is excellent! You can order virtually any film that has ever existed, watch it, then ship it back in an envelope provided, for free!

A

I don't use loose tobacco much now but I did for many years and if a pouch started to get a bit dry I just used to add a little bit of orange peel (or tangerine peel). I'm sure this works very well but I think it might be needlessly complicated.

I don't use loose tobacco much now but I did for many years and if a pouch started to get a bit dry I just used to add a little bit of orange peel (or tangerine peel). I'm sure this works very well but I think it might be needlessly complicated.

I seem to recall that some of my hand-rolling cronies used to do something similar with lettuce! But at my age, that just doesn't look right!

It's some sort of specialty clay, from what I was told. It makes a world of difference in a carry pouch.

Yes - I was surprised at how effective they are! I bought mine at my old favourite tobacconists in London - 'Shervington's. They cost pennies. I believe you can buy them online from various sources, but unless you're buying other stuff as well, the standard 'one-size-fits-all' shipping costs mean that method doesn't really represent value.

Incidentally, if you'd like to try one of these, and are having real problems sourcing them, I'd be happy to pick one up when I'm next in town, and send it over. Please let me know. (first 2 requests only please!)

you can also just put a slice of apple into the tobacco container .. what my grandfather used to do ...

but on my pipe tobacco .. i prefer it to be a bit on the dry side .... so i use nothing

I try not to throw foodstuffs in with my tobacco. It may work well, but I don't really want to smoke apple/orange/banana flavored tobacco. I think the "pouch humidifier" is actually cheaper than an apple anyway. The shop I frequent has them for 4/$1.00.

eh, it depends on the tobacco and smoking method ... for pipe tobacco .. to humid (>30%) and the pipe will clog up and so forth ... to dry, and you just smoke it a little slower and all is good ...

as for the apple it doesn't put the taste into the tobacco that i have noticed when trying it .. and the peice lasts for months ... since it is in a sealed jar when not in use ...

now if you just keep your tobacco in a jar or container that doesn't seal then yeah some other method may be needed ...

but jars of the tobacco that i put up 8+ months ago are still 'moist' to the touch when i open them back up.

now if you just keep your tobacco in a jar or container that doesn't seal then yeah some other method may be needed ...

but jars of the tobacco that i put up 8+ months ago are still 'moist' to the touch when i open them back up.

I am with Devil on this one. With My tobacco I keep them in mason jars when I have opened a tin and it has never dried out at all.

Top Bottom