What's new

Two questions from a semi-newbie :)

Morning all,

Having recently had my account activated, I thought I'd say hello - and take the opportunity to ask a couple of questions ;)

I've been shaving with a brush (VDH picked up in Walmart) and DE (Gillette cheapo plastic one...) for a few months now, with mixed results so was very pleased to stumble across such a wealth of knowledge!

On to the questions:

1. I've seen the video instructions on creating 'super-lather' and have been quite successful using Wilkinson Sword (blue bowl) and Palmolive cream (green UK tube), but have just been bought a nice shaving mug and would like to transfer the WS soap into the mug - once melted into the mug, will I be able to create super-lather by just mixing a bit of lather in the mug and then adding cream? I'd rather not have a nice mug and still have to use my old bowl at the same time. [Hope that makes sense!]

2. I've got three brushes, all bristle:

- Green handle VDH (first brush - cheap and cheerful!)
- Wilkinson Sword bristle (tiny and horrible!)
- Woods of Windsor bristle (softer than the others, but too small again...)

I like the size of the VDH (I've measured it at about 24mm knot) but it sheds about 10 bristles per shave. Having recently been given the Woods brush, I've realised quite how much better I can do than the VDH (even with another cheap bristle!) so I wondered what would be the best beginner badger in a comparable size to the VDH?

Thanks all,

Chris

p.s. I'm in the UK :)

Chris,
Welcome to B&B

regarding your question on the mug yes you can do what you asked that is transfer the soap to the nice mug make a lather in it add some cream and have a super lather, the only drawback to anytime you make lather directly on top of the soap and not just load the brush up and make in a seperate bowl or on face is it gets used up a little quicker, but some soaps are cheap and it is not a big expense besides it helps use them up so you can buy more :biggrin:

Here is a link to English Shaving company EJ best badger brush in medium for 23pound which is a great starter badger brush

Hi Jim,

I'm happy to use up soap a bit quicker - I've got two more lined up already to try and a couple more in mind! :001_smile

I'd actually considered that brush in the large, as it seems to be a closer size to the VDH - will a badger feel 'bigger' on my face due to the fact that it's softer? I'm going to try and pop into C&E in London and have a look, but I'm not sure if the London stores will carry the full range.

Chris

Welcome to B&B Chris!

The best option for a badger brush at an entry level price point is the Crabtree & Evelyn Best Badger. On this side of the pond it retails for around $35 US. If you can wait and want to spend a bit more the Badger and Blade Essential brush, custom made for this forum is a good choice. Not sure when those will be offered again however so patience is needed if you want to go that route.

I don't do a lot with super lather so I'll let an expert offer advice on that.

Again, welcome to B&B!

I've seen on the UK site that C&E are selling some extra large best badger for the same price as the large - do you think an XL (25mm) is too much as a first badger upgrade?

[Edit] Right - extra large sounds good, think I'll ask for that from Mrs Neocaligatio for xmas ;)

The Edwin Jagger brushes I referred to are the same as the C&E sold here in the states, I don't think a badger brush will feel bigger on your face versus a boar brush but they typically feel softer depending on the grade and most make lather easier, fyi the bigger you go with a brush both in width and height of the loft the more likely it is to be floppy and therefore perform better with creams then soaps as small brushes 21-24mm generally have more backbone and are better overall performers typically

It never fails to amaze me that we can make something in the UK, pack it, ship it hundreds of miles, and then sell it for half the price.....

Top Bottom