What's new

Shipping question...

Guys,
I am about to sell and ship something to Portugal(b/s/t item) I checked the prices through USPS and it was reasonable and the buyer is working with me on that. I am sending it the cheapest way, in a small box, and well wrapped of course. I know I will insure it. can i get delivery confirmation being out of Conus? And is there any custom issues that I or the buyer needs to worry about? I just dont want any nightmare intl shipping issues that have happened in the past:frown: Any suggestions would be appreciated:001_smile

Usual story with international shipping using your "default" postal service (ie. the original government owned and operated one before all the FedEx/DHL/UPS boys showed up) is that it's possible to get a signature on delivery and confirmation - at a cost (here it's an additional GBP3.5 on top of regular air mail for the signature on delivery option)

I know here in the UK Royal Mail allow you to track it online as far as the point where they hand it over to the foreign postal service. Beyond that you have to call their international division customer service.... at GBP0.05/min to get their latest information (which is usually at least 3-4 days old

Should be no customs issues if you declare it truthfully ("used safety razor with caked on hobo whiskers") rather than something nebulous and potentially more attractive (like "collectibles" which is sure to pique the interest of someone light fingered), so long as the declared value doesn't exceed €22, you should be safe on the recipient not being stung for customs fees, if it is more than €22, mark it as a gift and enclose a birthday card and you have €44 limit instead... that's a standard across the whole EU, so should be true any EU country.

Some countries will charge the purchaser a tax on the product received. You'll have to complete a form at the USPO (if that's who you use) which requires you to declare the value of the item(s) and identify whether it's a gift. The less expensive the declaration, the less tax paid by the purchaser, but the insurance value must match.

jim

Thanks for advice. However the item is $100 USD(shaving brush). If it was a tube of shave cream...who cares. But I am just concerned b/c I dont want either of us to get burned and I am sure the buyer doesnt want to pay for UPS/FEDEX, etc where I would feel a bit more comfortable than just handing it over the the next postal service. I remember Richie-R-James saying he had to pay a substantial customs charge for his B&BE? Thanks again....Normally I wouldnt give a rats *** but anything over $50 is quite significant for me and definetely dont want it to dissapear on me:)

Some countries will charge the purchaser a tax on the product received. You'll have to complete a form at the USPO (if that's who you use) which requires you to declare the value of the item(s) and identify whether it's a gift. The less expensive the declaration, the less tax paid by the purchaser, but the insurance value must match.

jim

Thanks Jim,
Unfortunately I will be claiming the full value being that if something occurs I want that extra cushion. Nothing against EU countries but it goes both ways with the US. the USPS is not perfect to say the least:) tha

Thanks for advice. However the item is $100 USD(shaving brush). If it was a tube of shave cream...who cares. But I am just concerned b/c I dont want either of us to get burned and I am sure the buyer doesnt want to pay for UPS/FEDEX, etc where I would feel a bit more comfortable than just handing it over the the next postal service. I remember Richie-R-James saying he had to pay a substantial customs charge for his B&BE? Thanks again....Normally I wouldnt give a rats *** but anything over $50 is quite significant for me and definetely dont want it to dissapear on me:)

I have to say that if you sent it UPS/FedEx/DHL, the recipient would surely get shafted for import duty & VAT (and brokerage fee - here the brokers fee with the courier is usually GBP10 - when the duty & VAT comes to GBP5 that's not even funny). With the Postal Service it's hit and miss whether it'll be applied in the first place and even more hit and miss whether it'll be collected when it gets to the door.... depends on the mood of the postie :001_smile (I'm lucky enough to have a happy postie)

Last question...SORRY GUYS!!!! So I do insure it on my end for the $100....will it be insured for the entire journey or just until it leaves the hands of my folks? Say if slick fingers is really craving a cool shave brush and it dissapears? Am I even insured if it gets lost, misplaced, or only if its damaged? Last question!!!! promise!

Last question...SORRY GUYS!!!! So I do insure it on my end for the $100....will it be insured for the entire journey or just until it leaves the hands of my folks? Say if slick fingers is really craving a cool shave brush and it dissapears? Am I even insured if it gets lost, misplaced, or only if its damaged? Last question!!!! promise!

If you label it a "used brush", I'm sure it will arrive safely. :smile:

If you insure it for $100, you'll have to declare it as $100 - the recipient would then be liable for the taxes and duties on the $100 plus the postage cost on the packet (so if it's $21.99 - then $121.99) unless you include a shipping note that specifies the shipping is free.

That value will be converted into Euro. This is the liable sum.

Not sure what the applicable import duty is on a shaving brush - but if there is some it'll be a percentage (3-12% usually) and will be added to the liable sum. This is the taxable sum.

VAT will be levied on top at the standard rate for the item as if it were bought in the country of delivery. For Portugal that's 20% of the taxable sum.

Then the postal service will load their brokerage fee on top - not sure what Portugal's Postal Service charges for that - but it could easily be more than €10.

Anything over $20 is going to get taxed heavily.. I agree with suggestion to mark it as a used shaving brush.

The best way I have found to ship is First Class International with the Post Office. I have never had one get lost yet and it gets there in a reasonable time... usually 5-7 days for a good price.. lowest I have found.

Declare the value to be $5-10.. no one will be interested in a $10 used brush and mark it as a gift.

I know I am sticking my neck out on this, but I really don't think it will get lost...

Bear Hugs, Sue

You cannot insure or track with USPS 1st class mail.
If you put it in one of the flat rate priority mail envelopes it'll cost you $12 and it will have delivery confirmation, and some idemnity protection (the declared value up to $60 or so).
If you/your buyer wants insurance you'll have to send it normal priority mail (not the flat rate envelope) and the rates start around $25.
Whether it gets taxed depends on Portuguese customs and how strict are they in enforcing EU laws.

Top Bottom