What's new

Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs - Classic Album Discussion

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
This album is just incredible. The musicianship is top-notch (I mean Clapton and Duane Allman, c'mon) and the songwriting is unbelieveable. This one belongs in everyone's collection. (Watch a vid of Derek and the Dominos on youtube singing "It's Too Late" from the Johnny Cash Show. Amazing.)

The 1970 gem from Derek and The Dominos:

Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs.

Front Cover:

full
Song List:

1. I Looked Away
2. Bell Bottom Blues
3. Keep on Growing
4. Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out
5. I Am Yours
6. Anyday
7. Key to the Highway
8. Tell the Truth
9. Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad?
10. Have You Ever Loved a Woman
11. Little Wing
12. It's Too Late
13. Layla
14. Thorn Tree in the Garden

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe no one's responded to this yet. Layla is one of my top ten. The best blues-rock guitar playing ever. Eric Clapton and Duane Allman? What more could anyone want?

Not to mention the aching lyrics, from a time when it was still OK for a rock star to sing about unrequited love. "Do you want to see me crawl across the floor to you? Do you want to hear me beg you to take me back? I'll gladly do it." Particularly "when all the time you know she belongs to your very best friend."

I love almost every song on this album except Layla, which suffered from serious overplay for too many years. My very favorites are Key to the Highway and Bellbottom Blues.

This is a seriously great album. I have probably listened to it over a thousand times.

Tim

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Perhaps others here are in the same boat as me... I only know two songs from this album: Bell Bottom Blues & Layla (great tunes by the way).

Well then you need to do yourself a favor and get the rest of these great songs. :wink:

Oh hell yeah, what an album. Each song a study in anguish, heartbreak, frustration and finally catharsis. The interplay between Clapton and Duane Allman is worth the price of admission. Clapton was never this good again (IMHO).

I love this album too. Clapton's cover of Little Wing isn't as good as SRV's was years later, but it is a good cover. Love the whole album.

Anyday is my personally fav on this album

Hard not to include this album as one of the ten most notable rock/blues albums ever.

They did one other record--a live album--terrible...but that doesn't diminish Layla and Other Assorted Lover Songs

A lot of you may disagree, but despite Clapton's handful of great songs, I think he is highly overrated.

You're right, I disagree :biggrin: But, one thing I have noticed about Clapton (and I love his playing, especially when he focuses on just the blues), is that people either love him or hate him. There doesn't seem to be as much middle ground with him as with others. You can't really argue taste.

Love Layla but I need to say that the Allman Bros at the Filmore is miles beyond.

That isn't even in the same league as far as albums go. You'd have to compare it to Live Cream, or Cream's farewell show to be real comparable.

IMHO, live albums are often better than studio albums because you are hearing the artist in a more natural environment: in front of an audience. Some bands were much better live than in the studio. This was especially true for bands like the Allmans and the Grateful Dead who usually had their best performances in front of an audience. BTW, this might be heresy, but I like the Allmans Live at the Atlanta International Pop festival better than Live at the Filmore. YMMV

A lot of you may disagree, but despite Clapton's handful of great songs, I think he is highly overrated.

I think he suffers from the tragedy of be so good so early. When you go on top like Hendrix or Allman, you don't have deal with what the next 40 years will do to your legacy. I'm not saying great rockstars should all die early or anything like that. I just think time isn't always kind to "musical gods."

One of those discs that rarely gets a spin. I loves me some Duane but I have a difficult time with EC. He justs doesn't do it for me- give me Green, Beck or Trower and I am cool. I do like some of the tracks but for my money I will take the studio outtakes with Duane and EC jamming away.

I think he suffers from the tragedy of be so good so early. When you go on top like Hendrix or Allman, you don't have deal with what the next 40 years will do to your legacy. I'm not saying great rockstars should all die early or anything like that. I just think time isn't always kind to "musical gods."

How many rock musicians recorded a lot of great new material after the first ten years of their careers? Dylan and the Stones are the only ones who come to my mind.

How many rock musicians recorded a lot of great new material after the first ten years of their careers? Dylan and the Stones are the only ones who come to my mind.

Allman Brothers
Grateful Dead
Nick Cave
Richard Thompson
Tom Waits
Neil Young
Lucinda Williams
Dave Alvin.....

Top Bottom