What's new

Different blades performing better

It seems to me that after not giving up on Derby blades, and of course liking the Red Ips from go and Feather all seem to be very good!!!

When I started out, the Derbys seemed too rough, but I got one of my best shaves today using one!!!

When I first tested the Feather, it appeared to only be good for 3 shaves at best in a Merkur HD. I used a Feather in a Parker TTO and got 5 shaves no problem.

Is it possible that my technique is improving and I am really starting to see the reason why so many like the 3 blades I mentioned?

These blades all seem different in the way they perform, but I like all of them!!!! I still would say the Feather is sharpest out of the box, but it seems to become smoother about 3 shaves. The Red IP are sharp enough and seem very consistent throughout. The Derby seems sharper than the Red, and I used the Derby today out of the box and WOW!!! I hope the D blades are not inconsistent.

I really want to try other blades, but these three are really working for me as I learn the right razor and blade combo!!

What exactly does corking do to a Derby? Do you guys find them quite sharp and not very smooth starting out? I have experienced similar characteristics in Derby. 2 fairly rough shaves then they smooth down for a couple more good shaves, then they're done. I have now been able to use a Derby blade for an entire week *7 shaves*, all being smooth except the first 2 and the last one.

I see corking on here mentioned quite often... seems like it would speed the dullness process up. Some have made an argument that it smooths it like stropping a straight razor. I have yet trying the corking method because I simply do not have one lying around. But I would try it.

Seems to me Feather works using the slightest pressure. I also have gotten better results from Derby, by going light. I have noticed a better behaving blade by adjusting me technique. Another user suggested that I lighten up with the Derby and his advice was spot on!! At first usage, the Derby was rough... and today I got my best shave ever with a Derby.

just to clarify. When the blades are taken out of the box, they have very small imperfections known as metal burrs. These are hard to see, but they do irritate the face. By corking (or any way of stropping) the blade, you remove the burrs and thus smooth it out so it doesnt catch skin when shaving. When you said you got 2 bad shaves on your derby, then the rest were good, that means you actually removed the burrs against your skin. ouch?!
What I read and tried today is like corking, but uses a smooth glass and some hot water. I put some hot water in the bottom of the glass, then hold the blade in the glass up against one of the walls of the glass. the blades should be touching the glass walls evenly from top to bottom (as long as the glass is very strait)
Then with your finger on the middle of the blade (down the center strip) push down into the glass wall, bending the blades like you would fold a peice of paper. Don't go all the way to the glass wall, but fairly close, then tilt the glass untill the blades are submerged and slowly rotate the glass, keeping the blade in one spot so it scrapes the sides. Then do this again flipping the blade over.
I hope this makes sense. Anyway, in effect it just rubs the metal burrs off on the glass and makes it smoother for your face.
Or if you have a cork, just cut through it slightly with the blade ends so that any burrs are removed. You dont have to cut deep, just enough that the cutting surface is all rubbed. do this on both sides, and it should work the same as my other method.
Yes, this will slightly dull your blades, but no more then 1 shave would, if your very light about it. These burrs are not very big, so you dont have to manhandle the blade, just very lightly remove the imperfections.
If done correctly, I would say you might be losing 1 shave at the very most per blade. However I find that very worth getting a good first shave on each blade, as you get no irritation from the metal burrs. YMMV but I highly recommend this!

Top Bottom