What's new

Water Softener! Woo Hoo!

We have had a water softener in our house for the last 6 years, and I don't believe it ever worked. So my wife asked me to either fix it or buy another one.

It was an old Kenmore Salt Save 80. It was really good at saving salt. It never used any. So I found troubleshooting help and ordered about $25 worth of parts and tried to fix it. I got the whole thing together, and was testing suction from the brine tank, and there was none.

So I hauled that bad boy to the junk yard and bought a new one.

It was a Beacon Water Systems softener. This is a small family business about 3 blocks away. It was $875 for a demand controlled system with separate brine tank. The owner told me that it would be $375 to install it. I said: "I'll install it myself". The owner then explained to me exactly what I needed to do to install it. He had it set to my water conditions prior to shipment.

I brought it home and installed it. It was pretty painless because I'm generally pretty good at plumbing, and the new "push on" fittings make it a breeze.

Now that the hot water heater tank has cycled I can really feel the difference in the water.

[Ob. Shaving Info]

The first time I whipped up a mug of lather with the new softened water, I almost overflowed the cup, but I wasn't able to easily get it to "peak" like merengue. I'm going to have to learn to adjust the wrist action on my "badger shake" to get the right amount of water in it to re adjust the consistency.

I am really pleased with it.

I love our softener too. We're able to get all the way down to a 0 level of hardness. Our skin has been so much better after having it installed (around March this year). Less soap use, less detergent use, less moisturizer use.

Regarding lathering, see my recent post here.

Yeah, I can always tell when I'm in a house with a soft water supply (naturally or with a softener). Bath soap lathers & rinses differently in the shower and I know I'll be in for a treat for the shave.

It was pretty painless because I'm generally pretty good at plumbing

Joe the Plumber :w00t:

Seriously, that is great news, I hope to move in my new appartment by the beginning of the next year and I am seriously thinking about buying one too.

"Joe the Plumber"

I remember this words from the Debate from Yesterday! JEJEJE!... Though the person does exits! But Anywayz that is another story!

Great installation! Has anyone seen the smaller water softeners with Vitamin C? This are easly to install and I think they do the same job, plus they are good for appartments.

I think they are about $400.00. Umm...

Have a great one!

Dark

The first time I whipped up a mug of lather with the new softened water, I almost overflowed the cup, but I wasn't able to easily get it to "peak" like merengue.

For me, once I've hit meringue the lather is too stiff and nonlubricating.

Top Bottom